Home Technical Talk

Where is it better to make materials for models, in blender or in Substance Painter?

I model in Blender and now I want to learn how to make more complex materials. It would be convenient for me to make them right away in Blender, but in Substance Painter, as I know, it is more convenient to make complex materials. What to choose?

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter

I think its good principle to go as far as you can with what you know, and only upgrade firepower if you can't get job done with what you have.

However, that principle is mostly focused on getting job done as fast as possible. It's also good in general to always try and learn new tools so that you can potentially find better/faster/cheaper ways to do the same work.

I don't know anything about blender texturing, but substance painter is prettty much the gold standard for 3d texturing, so if you will be doing a lot of that type of work, probably not a bad idea to give it a shot.

If you wont be doing a lot of texturing maybe its not worth the trouble though.

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage

You haven't said what work you are doing so its hard to say how Substance could help. You can create Smart materials in painter but textures and node based materials in Substance Designer.