Home Technical Talk

Maya fbx export is not exporting blendshape animation.

Hi,

I am trying to export a simple .fbx file with an animation to be used in THREE.js.

When I export the file, the blend shape animation is not playing. (Tried .fbx viewer and importing the .fbx file into a new scene in Maya.)

I baked the animation and cleared non-deformer history before exporting. In the .fbx export menu, the animation, deformed models and connections are checked in the export .fbx options.

I have attached the scene file.

I am using Maya 2023.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Blend.zip

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter

have you confirmed that THREE.js can support blendshape animations?

if it is like game engines it would require bones (aka joints) for animations. You could import the fbx to some other application that is known to support blendspace animations to verify that the data is infact in the fbx (marmoset toolbag IIRC supports that). If so, that would indicate that THREE.js doesn't support it (of course you can ask around as well but always good to check on your own because sometimes people are wrong)

• kwame
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

@Alex_J thank you for the reply.

I checked and three.js doesn't support fbx blendshapes, which solves the future issue of compatibility.

It is still puzzling how the fbx export didn't include the animation no matter where I imported it.

Any help with that?

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

You have to specifically toggle in the export settings to include blendshapes.

• kwame
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Thanks for your help.

I have those settings selected and it isn't working.

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Try export same file with two different names with and without those settings and see if the size of the files is the same. If the size was different, that would indicate that the blendshapes are actually included, and thus the problem would be on whatever software you are using to view the fbx. (important that the only difference you change is the blendshape checkbox, so that you don't confuse with something else)

If the file size is the same, that means the export in maya isn't working. If that is true, I don't know what more to do other than reset maya preferences. But perhaps somebody more technical with maya coudl diagnose better. Before doing any drastic resets though always good to go back and read carefully through documentation about blendshapes, import/export, and make sure isn't some stupid little thing missed.

edit: I suppose you could even just import the fbx in another instance of maya as well, ruling out issues with another software.