Home Technical Talk

Incidence shader effect in 3dsmax?

Hi everyone, new to the forum. :)

I'm trying to work out how to create what I understand to be an incidence shader (?) to create a hologram or xray type effect. I'd term it a rim shader. I've attached an imageof what I mean. I've seen a similar shader tutorial which deals with the arnold renderer on maya. The person uses a facing ratio shader, but that doesn't seem to be available in arnold on max?

Does anyone have any advice on how a shader like this can be created in max/vray? It's a fairly well known type of effect which I thought might be common place now. Any help much appreciated.

Replies

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky

i havent rendered with an offline renderer in ages. but i would guess that vray does have some form of fresnel shader no?

• bond1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bond1 polycounter lvl 2

I did something pretty similar recently in 3ds Max for a brain render. I didn't use Arnold though, I used the old scanline renderer.

I used a Gradient Ramp in the diffuse color slot with the following settings:

And the result:

• Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15

Do you HAVE to use VRay?

UE5 is free and far more streamlined in their material authoring than something like Max/VRay. Having used Max/Maya/VRay/iRay/Keyshot/UE, and creating materials in each, I'd choose UE every day of the week. Pathtracer in UE5 has also been updated heavily since its release (though I doubt you'd even need pathtracer to pull off this effect) and I can easily see this being a simple vertex color alpha layered shader, each layer using specific fresnel and pixel depth parameters in UE5.

• Klunk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Klunk ngon master

have you tried a falloff map set to fresnal on the opacity ?

with some self illumination for some added punch

• gizmo1991
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Thanks so much for all the replies everyone.

@bond1 Was there anything else you did? When I try those settings the falloff adheres to the objects UVs? There must be some setting which tells the shader to apply the falloff 'around' the edges of the model?

@Klunk That's a good idea but but using opacity means that parts of the model will show through?

• Klunk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Klunk ngon master

you can use it to blend from one map to another in the diffuse channel then

• bond1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bond1 polycounter lvl 2

@gizmo1991 Are you sure you set the gradient type to NORMAL? That way it will falloff according to the direction of the normal, giving that fresnel-type effect. Otherwise at default settings it will use the UV's like you said, which is not what you want.

Also, set self-illumination to 100% to remove any influence of lighting from the scene - to give it that glowing effect.

• gizmo1991
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

@bond1 Ahh I missed that! Excellent thanks so much! It's pretty much exactly what I wanted. :)