Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

I would like some opinions on a wall I made

Offline / Send Message
Pinned

Hello!

I made this wall inspired by this wall from God Of War Ragnarok, but it does not look as nice what would you say I should improve to make it look better?

Reference Artist Dannie Carlone

My wall

Replies

• Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter

Hi! Presentation wise, the lighting is impractical: Assets rear is directly lit, meaning all the features facing towards the viewer are indirectly lit. If you observe the lighting on the GoW asset, it's directly lit, resulting in shadows, which add depth. The background competes with the asset. GoW asset is presented with neutral background.

Regarding the asset itself, it's important to look at real life references, else you end up with a weak construction. I would take notes from actual walls: Construction layers? supporting elements? Damage and weathering? For games, it's good to keep the player/camera in mind so scale and proportions look right and are consistent between assets. Textures could be tweaked so the material comes across better. Things like wood grain direction and scale need also be kept in mind to give a believable result. Think about believable wear and weathering.

Keep it up!