Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Anime-type Character

borbus
triangle
Offline / Send Message
borbus triangle

Hi! Main Character for a Game im making, still missing like 3-4 Elements. Very excited as its my first Sculpt ever. Feedback would be appreciated!

Replies

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky

very good start for the first sculpt ever!

my main question would be, are you going to render it using cel shading? if so get it in engine asap. doesnt matter if its too highpoly. you need to see how the shader reacts to his surfaces as early as possible

• borbus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    borbus triangle

Thank you very much!

Yes, i am planning on rendering it through cel shading, after being done with the retopology. Because isnt how good the shader will look on the surface completely depended on topology, and since my mesh still has really messed up topology, i dont see much of a reason to render it now.

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

honestly dont go into retopology before you have seen what it looks like. the engine will handle the geo

take it in as early and often as you can, as you can not predict the look as easily just inside zbrush.

• borbus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    borbus triangle

Alright, then my plan is to import it into Blender and use a cel shader on it to see how it looks.

Thank you for your quick responses!

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

is blender where you are going to do the final rendering? it totally is fine if it is but as you said "a game i am making" i suggest you put the mesh into the engine and work with the shaders in there. unless you plan is to replicate whatever you do in blender in your target engine, which is totally fine.

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

okay don't have a ton of time, but besides the stuff i already stated and i feel like is super important with cel shaded content. there are some things i would tweak.

i think the arm anatomy,and especially this super curvy rubber hand do not work. i think before you chisel in the muscles as you did on the chest, the basic anatomy should be there. maybe this is a good reference for you. its where i took the hand from. while not perfect i think it works pretty good overall

for the legs i would also integrate more anatomy. show the ankles and define the silhouette of the calves more. you focussed seminly a lot of time into the straps/details but the base shapes could be more expressive.

the foot again feels very lose and sketched

i think the wrinkles on the legs could be stronger, the pits and peaks more defined, it will also help with the cel shader picking up these surfaces. unless you wanna go all in and do like custom normals on all the wrinkles to push it more to your liking. which is doable but you can already help yourself by pushing the surfaces to be more geometric. But the pants are pretty cool already.

I especially enjoy that they are not just clipping into the lower like. like the sleeve does.

which brings to to the sleeve, it feels very flowy and lose, doesnt pick up the anatomy you established on the other side enough and could also be more geometric, also keep in mind how this will be deformed, thats why i added this fold in the elbow it will help when deforming the arm as this goes with the deformation, while your folds go against it.

but also dont just clip it into the layer below. either overlap it properly or do it like you did on the legs.

• borbus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    borbus triangle

Thank you for the extensive feedback.

I'm going to do the final rendering in Blender and then export it out to unity, but tbh i dont know if thats the best way to do it, because its my first time doing something like this.

The reason the sleeve looks weird and clips into the body is because i will put an object around the sleeve, thats why i didnt really care right now how it looks because it would not be visible anyways, but ill definitely update the clothing folds.

Ill work on the things you talked about in your post above and will post updates.

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

i guess it depends on what your final format will be. what you describe is that you want to make it a 2d sprite, prerendered in blender? totally valid

but if your final goal is a cel shaded 3d model in unity (say like guilty gear for instance as one of the gold standard examples of cel shaded realtime 3d), i would either ditch blender completely for the cel shading preview or you need to figure out a way to reliably get the same results in blender and unity. possible but doesnt sound like you'd be ready to this just yet.

• borbus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    borbus triangle

Alright then i will do it in unity, because my goal was something like genshin impact / zenless zone zero.

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

yeah then do it there, unless you know for sure whatever you do in blender you can replicate in unity (which is likely so, if you know what you are doing) i would go with whatever celshader you prefer inside unity and feed that with your model

• borbus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    borbus triangle

UPDATE: I did some work on the legs to make them look a bit more anatomical. I also made the cloth folds more pronounced.

And then i worked a bit on the arm and the hands.

But the palm still looks a bit odd, nevertheless definitely better than before

Will work on the cloth folds on the kimono next.

• borbus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    borbus triangle

Heh, seems like i forgot to post due to exams and the stress that comes with it.

Anyways, i made some changes on the Kimono, hands and belt mainly. I also modelled a new Katana.

There are only about two pieces of Equipment left.

• akiratang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    akiratang polycounter lvl 11

Very cool, I like where its going and the improvements. Much better than my first sculpt lol.

• borbus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    borbus triangle

Thank you very much!

Im actually already finished with the Sculpting, now its onto Retopology.
    Heres how it looks right now:

Relatively satisfied with how it looks right now, but im still not very confident about the topology of the body and the pants, so i'll probably remake that one.
    Btw is there a way to place the images side by side instead of stacked upon each other?

• borbus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    borbus triangle
    Changed the topology so it flows more according to the shape of the muscles. I think it looks pretty good, just need to fill out the empty spaces at the back.

• borbus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    borbus triangle
    Progress! Changed up the body topology to highlight muscles more, and i also worked on the face to achieve the desired shading through customizing normals. But there is still work to be done for the normals.

• borbus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    borbus triangle
    Finished with the retopology! :) Onto rigging!

• borbus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    borbus triangle
    I started texturing and began with the face. Here is the result, but i still need to work on the eyes and maybe add some small detail
  • borbus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    borbus triangle
    Added Lineart and shadows to the body, making good progress :)
  • borbus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    borbus triangle
    Made some more progress