Home› Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: nE0n1nja

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
nE0n1nja polycounter lvl 9

Hi, everyone 🙂

I am finishing my course in 3D modeling and animation, so I thought I'd open a sketchbook thread. I've been working as a freelance illustrator for some time now, but I wanted to try out learning 3D. Any feedback and crits are welcomed.

The course was very broad and in the time span of about 4 months we touched on almost all of the fields in 3D: Modeling, Animation, Rigging, Texturing, Lighting and Shading, Rendering and even Motion Capture. So, I guess I got introduced to a little bit of everything and I'll have to do the real learning after the course is finished.

So, here is my first finished character I've done for the course. Modeled in Maya by closely following a 2D reference and the instructions of the mentor. Then I had a lot more creative freedom for creating the textures in Painter. Doing the renders in Arnold.

Painter Viewport:

Test render 1 using only lighting from the HDRI:

Test render 2 using the HDRI light and one rim light:

And one more with 3 lights setup:

As you can see I'm messing around with the rig lol

I still need to rig the fingers and the antennas, as well as do some blend shapes for the face and then I'll probably do some final renders.

Replies

• nE0n1nja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

A quick gangster sketch for warm up today:

Then I started to follow a Maya course from Nexttut. It's the "Maya for absolute beginners" course. Pretty simple stuff, but I feel like I need to go over the fundamentals again.

• nE0n1nja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Warmup sketch and Zbrush sketch of some vampire lord for today. Actually the zbrush sketch is a couple of weeks old now, but I'm thinking of maybe using it for my final project for the course.

• nE0n1nja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Today I tried to do some freestyle modeling in Maya, just moving stuff with the soft selection, not worrying about topology and stuff. I'm not sure I was successful lol. Messed with it for about an hour.

I also did some work on the vampire guy. I don't think I am skilled enough to do what I have imagined. Couldnt't setup the pose right, so no legs for now 😅

• nE0n1nja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Today I worked on texturing a scene that I had previously modeled as ana assignment for the course. Projected a drawing of mine on the cup. Just a test Render in Iray, I still need to plug the maps in Maya and do a proper render with lighting and everything.

And of course some quick doodle.