Home Technical Talk

Wavy normal bake (NOT edges)

Lemenus
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Lemenus polycounter lvl 5

I'm trying to bake pattern with straight lines to plane. but for some reason bake is wavy, not in direction, but in depth, while hi poly mesh is uniform, as well as low poly one. Tried to subdive LP to be closer to HP - not much have changed, tweaked it's position and ray distance - no difference, smooth cage and solid - same. Baking in Marmoset Toolbag 3,

Bake

Hi Poly

Replies

• guitarguy00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    guitarguy00 polycounter lvl 6

Try "Skewing" option in Toolbag? Very strange.

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter

Upload your meshes - without them there's really no way to help you.

• Lemenus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Archive with meshes. UV is not unwrapped fully because this plane is a part of atlas

• Lemenus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

This what i said "smooth cage and solid" - skewing tells baker how to treat with part of mesh - to bake it with smooth or solid normals. So yeah, i tried it

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

FWIW here's what I am getting out of Blender, which does create a similarly odd shading :

That said, this setup is very, very strange : you have two meshes clearly matching each other in space (flat lowpoly plane matching a detailled highpoly panel), yet the UV of the plane are reduced to a small portion of the total UV plane. Why ?

Once the UVs are fixed by spreading them to the whole UV space everything is back to what could be expected :

... What are you trying to do here, exactly ?

• Lemenus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

UV Setup strange because I ripped this mesh out of whole model, i need to make looks of cassette reel from side, i will assign this square to straightened uv of this model. Yes, i tried to unwrap square to whole uv space, it negated problem, but it's still here, it's just harder to spot.

• gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter

IMO it's a classic example of interference . Each pixel rays is one frequency and the grid is another. When each pixel baking ray falls onto something in between or average of hires normals with certain shift forming the another ,interference frequency .

Things that may help

1. more hi res hires + some tiny bit of shift of the low res model . But it's a matter of random lack.

2 a bit of chaos in hi res model

3 just paint it in photoshop or Microsoft paint with 1 pix pen. Honestly I would never try to bake such thing.

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Hi there,

"I ripped this mesh out of whole model, i need to make looks of cassette reel from side, i will assign this square to straightened uv of this model"

I honestly still have no idea about what you are trying to achieve, and I feel like there is a fundamental misunderstanding going on here about about tiling textures and their use (indicated by the very odd relationship you have between your high, your low, and the UVs. It just seems backwards).

You might want to clearly illustrate your goal by pointing out (on a photograph) the surface/detail you are trying to build. Of course this wont solve the pixel limitations you are running into - but by clarifying your goal, people might be able to give you advice on how to achieve it better.