Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Greg laux

Hi all! I'm a non-traditional (read: old guy) student from Durham, NC and I finish my degree in Game Art & Development in August. I've been learning absolutely non-stop for the past three + years and have touched a little bit of everything. I really love it all, but am focusing on texturing and environments.

I'm absolutely down for critiques and will take all the free help I can get to keep growing.

here's an initial "sketch" I built in blender that I've been working on bringing into UE5 in my spare time - based on a few reference images of a steel structure in an airport. I took some influence from brutalist architecture, some asian influences, and gently placed it in the desert

I wanted to try a few things; I wanted to make a trim sheet, I wanted to learn large-scale texturing, and I wanted to keep the polycount of the assets I made low. I ended up populating the scene with megascans plants and rocks of course. I didn't focus on Texel density initially, but I've learned a lot and will be making sure my next project is on point.

current WIP in UE5 - just a few things to clean up and fix, and then to add some more storytelling elements.

I also immediately notice the leaf sticking through the metal in that screenshot and I will never forgive myself.

I didn't control my scope and wanted to make an entrance because I saw some Frank Lloyd Wright garden sculptures that I really liked and wanted to take inspiration from.

and there's a chapel at the end of the hallway

Initial reference shot from user Quadramin Brother on Flickr: