Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

criticize my work

bratian
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
bratian polycounter lvl 2
Hello everyone. Recently I did a test task for some studio. The quality of my work turned out to be insufficient. I ask everyone who is not difficult to look at the files of my work and point out my mistakes. I will be very grateful to everyone)
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1U6l8_N8XNs_oSY8dn8mD2GclmSAU2yvu?usp=share_link

Replies

• bratian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

1. Hello everyone. Recently I did a test task for some studio. The quality of my work turned out to be insufficient. I ask everyone who is not difficult to look at the files of my work and point out my mistakes. I will be very grateful to everyone)
    2. https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1U6l8_N8XNs_oSY8dn8mD2GclmSAU2yvu?usp=share_link

• Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666

ok its terrible. Well you did say criticize it :) To be serious the image is not showing up so i reposted it

it looks ok to me, but maybe the dial holes are too close to the edge of the main ring. Not too keen on that purplish tinge to it. down to preference I suppose

maybe push the fresnel a bit more and try some lighting variations

also the dialler would have a piece of paper in the middle with the info of the phone number etc

• Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter

What was the task specifically? Any reference images? Did you ask politely for feedback from the company, so you can improve in the future? If you got any, what was their feedback?

Similar to what Ruz wrote, I think you increase your chance of getting critique, my making sure the artwork is easily accessible (images showing post) and providing more information.

• bratian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here is the reference image. They only wrote that lowpoly, highpoly and textures are not good enough for their company. I did well only with UV

• Chessman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I would put your drawing on a white background and try to match the angle of their reference image and start looking at details. I did see a lot things that are a little different than the reference image. Your drawing is good but I do not think they are looking for good, I think they are looking at can you match details, do you notice details. They wanted you to match the reference image not make something similar. That is just my opinion.

• bratian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

The work was done in great haste. And in uncomfortable conditions. I see that I did not hit the silhouette and proportions at all ... But I still wonder what is wrong in the technical stages.

• rexo12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rexo12 interpolator

Frankly I think you've done an alright job, but we have no idea what their expectations were or what the brief was. You've matched the reference well - the differences are kind of nitpicks in my opinion.

I can see issues around the edges of your bake where there's hard edge splits, which generally looks dirty. The texturing is noisy and unfocused. I don't think you've matched the brass material well, it's covered in scratches and a strange bumpiness that isn't present in the reference. The texel density looks a bit low and I can make out polygonal edges around your curves, but that may be a result of the budgets you were given.

I suspect also that those rings on the dial - as already mentioned - contributed to your rejection, they look messy and incorrect - far too close to the edges and each other and the shading seems off. Could we see your low and high poly?

• bratian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • ducklover
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ducklover polycounter lvl 3

I don't know about other guys who think this is ok or alright but this is an unacceptable model on all levels.

The good thing is every beginner does the same at first.

LP

Aside from not matching proportions low poly has A LOT of useless geometry and is too dense.

Any geo that doesn't add to the silhouette or is needed to support shading should be removed.

All geo that is not visible should be removed to save on polycount/uv space

UV

HP

TEXTURES

your textures look like fill layers with random grunges on top

try to match your textures to photo, don't use too much procedural grunges and generators, there never should be a solid color on albedo, add variations

at first create solid base material, then add details

I'd recommend watching a few tutorials, and some practice and you'll be OK.

Would recommend :

Military Radio Tutorial - Maya 2018 and Substance Painter - Master modeling and texturing and create a game ready Prop - Complete Edition from Simon Fuchs

Handgun for Video games Tutorial by Eugene Petrov

Flipped Normals - Modeling and Texturing Props for Games

These are all available via torrent in case you don't want to /can't pay and are high quality.

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

"Would recommend:

Military Radio Tutorial - Maya 2018 and Substance Painter - Master modeling and texturing and create a game ready Prop - Complete Edition from Simon Fuchs

Handgun for Video games Tutorial by Eugene Petrov

Flipped Normals - Modeling and Texturing Props for Games

These are all available via torrent in case you don't want to /can't pay and are high quality."

....to arbitrarily suggest on not paying or simply to save a few coin, is really disrespectful and kind of shitty advice using cracked files, especially when one considers the individual industry profiles by whom those paid resources were initially authored!

Anyway OP, for the time being at least I'd advise continuing to spend time effectively honing your skillset, either planning and/or researching then practice, practice, practice...which in my opinion is just a matter of further refining an overall polish, for the next opportunity. I'll also urge browsing through some of Tim Bergholz's work over at ChamferZone to get a vivid idea, generating quality assets end-too-end plus helpfully there's also free tutorial content available.

• bratian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Thank you very much for such detailed feedback. I can only cay that the maximum polygonage of 10000 was specified in the terms of reference, which is why there are so many edges on the cylinders and chamfers.