Home Adobe Substance

Substance Designer: How do I view non square materials in 3D view?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
mark lautenbach polycounter lvl 10

I'm making a tree bark material that needs to be 2048x4096. So far, I cannot find a way to view this material in the 3D view without it stretching.

Is there a way to set the 3D object, in this case the rounded cylinder, to have non square uvs?

Replies

• gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter

Nope, there isn't. I wrote feature requests regarding this for a decade. Nobody ever cared.

Why it's impossible to make U and V multipliers separately in material settings or just scale test object itself . Obviously it's so basic convenience . 🤷

In a word you have to model and load your own object for the preview or use non-square transform node with manual tile mode to tile your texture back into square.

• mark lautenbach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I did see some very old posts regarding this issue and was hoping there had been a change since then. guess not. I'm starting to use wide or long textures for materials more often and it seems super odd that there isnt a stock solution for this.

I did have to make a new reference object, which turned out to be pretty useful. Is importing a custom object a newer feature, cause I think I tried to do this a few years ago and was unable to figure it out.

also, I had to import the new object into the sbs as a resource, as opposed to just adding a new object available in the scene list. Is there a way to add this object so I can access it from that list?

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter

you've been able to import objects since at least 4.0 - im fairly sure you could do it when designer was still called pro-fx but my memory is hazy and i didnt use it between then and 4.0

the object needs to be a resource - you can save preset 3d view scenes now I think though

• gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter

It's kind of hard to figure out because they hided it in some unexpected place . You should right click on a new package in explorer pane and select Link then 3d scene. Contrary to anyone's natural instinct of looking something in File , open. Typical "mad scientist" software design as usual 😁

You can also drag and drop a fbx but works only over package name or resources folder in explorer pane or just drop it to 3d view .

• mark lautenbach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

There are so many things in Designer that I keep discovering and saying "How did I not know this was there! This would have saved me so much time!"

But I guess thats just the nature of the beast.

Though I suppose I could spend more time on polycount ;)