Home Technical Talk

Any idea what could cause this with 3DCoat+Maya?

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
garciiia polycounter lvl 3

I made the Mug in 3DCoat and used it's Shader/Materials to texture everything.

I exported the object and textures, imported them into maya and all metal-like textures are way too dark. Trying to play around with exposure settings only made it worse and i have absolutely no idea what i can do against the glitchy edges at the top. And I have no idea why the front view has this darker part in the model - it's not visible in 3DCoat, only in Maya.

I tried to retopo the part new - but same result.

Tried 4 different materials - but same result.

Something is cursed i guess?! :(

Replies

• Fabi_G
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter

Hi! Is there any environment (texture) to be reflected in the metallic surfaces? Else you could compare your textures against of some assets that's proven to work, see how your metallic values compare.

• pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter

"And I have no idea why the front view has this darker part in the model" : upload your model.

"all metal-like textures are way too dark" : too dark compared to what ?

• garciiia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

To how it looks in 3DCoat.

Just the standard environment in 3DCoat. changes on roughness, metalness etc. did not help.

• Fabi_G
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter

My guess is the metallic parts in Maya are dark because there is no environment to be reflected.

I would assume to get comparable reflections in Maya, you need to use a similar environment texture to the one you use in 3dCoat.

• oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666

Are you sure the normalmap is in the right colorspace?

And for the the roughness is alpha as luminance turned on?

• pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter

"To how it looks in 3DCoat." - but that's the thing : have you brought in the exact same HDR environment , with the exact same exposure settings ?

Also, where is your color checker ?

Without these two things, any attempt at comparing things is quite litterally pointless.

(By the way : the technical answer itself is probably trivial - like a RGB/sRGB setting, or something along these lines. The intent of my questions is to make you realize that until you know what's wrong, you have to focus on making sure that the context is consistent before comparing things. Otherwise you'll end up pressing buttons at random without any frame of reference - or even worse, overcompensating something that actually isn't the cause of the issue. And that's precisely how many game projects end up with messed up art pipelines).

So :

Get yourself some well crafted assets (like examples from Marmoset or similar), to remove any of your own potential mistakes ; get yourself a color checker object ; and focus on having the same environment in the two programs. Then, bring in your stuff.

And, you still haven't uploaded your model.

• garciiia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I checked RAW and sRGB multiple times but that's not the issue - all alpha luminance settings are correct too. I guess you are right with the environment - i did not do anything with HDR and just took it as it was.

I will retopo the part again and put a texture from polyhaven on it.