Homeโ€บ 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Alex Wolff as Peter Graham in Hereditary (Likeness critique, please!)

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
jgarrison polycounter lvl 5

I made this model so that I would have something to follow along with Konrad Hetko's face rigging tutorial---I've always really wanted to use wrinkle maps for character expressions, especially because it seems like a somewhat esoteric technique that isn't nearly as well documented as, say, modeling donuts. ๐Ÿ˜…

I know that the likeness isn't perfect but I struggled with how to get it there for a long time and thought it might be more believable once he had hair, accessories, materials and so on. I can still go back and fix it with minimal extra rework at this point because the zbrush sculpt has the same topology and UVs as the final mesh, but I think it will be kinda to late to fix it once I start rigging and sculpting expressions, so now seemed like a good time to come here and ask for an Nth set of eyes. Here it is from a few angles with and without the crown and nose bandages:

I feel like it looks pretty good from the front but falls apart at any other angle. And here it is on Sketchfab:

Finally, here are some pictures of the actor as he appeared in the movie for comparison:

Already I'm thinking that his chin should be more recessed and that I probably made his cheeks a little too hollow, or overemphasized his cheekbones or something... If anyone has any advice that might help me improve the face please let me know!