Home Career & Education

3D Character/Creature concept artist - is this a viable career path?

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Lifelover polycounter lvl 9

I've been wondering if mixing concept art with 3D character/creature work is a skillset that is valuable in the industry today. Is this a good career path to pursue?

Replies

• Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter

Hi! Generally, I think knowing 3d as concept artist is useful (e.g. blockouts as base for designs), so is being able to concept/problem solve as a 3d artists (able to find solutions during production).

To find work opportunities in an area, one probably has to be good at it. I think character/creature creation is a field with many subcategories (some quite technical!), so becoming good will likely take time. How will you support yourself until you reach that point?

It's probably good to have high interest in an area, to get some satisfaction doing it and to get through tough times.

I met some people who thought they knew what they want to do, until they found what they actually want to do (vfx, coding, audio design, not work in games, ...).

You could start by getting the feet wet on the side, like joining a mod project.