Home Collaboration & Unpaid Work

Prototyping combat through game feel (animator needed)

rabbyte
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
rabbyte polycounter lvl 7

Hello, my name is Cody Smith, I am a 28 year old Unity hobbyist with 4 years of computer science education.

I want to experiment with making a combat system that focuses on the feel of skill growth. 

I am inspired by the systems of Capcoms Monster Hunter series, as well as FromSoftware. They have strong foundations of weight and form, and both bring unique game feel aspects to the table.  

Namely, Monster Hunter excels at environmental influences adding to your movepool through ground sliding and hazard awareness (Paratoads, natural traps, slinger ammo, etc), as well as a gamified feeling of maintenance with sharpening and eating mechanics.

FromSoftware games on the other hand, allows you to choose your play style on the fly with having the ability to access your weapon pool from anywhere and mix and match equipment to open up unique play styles thought of by the player, but also imposes limits based on the characters allocation of levels into specific stats.

I aim to make a system balanced around the game avatars proficiency with a weapon needing to be raised through use, while allowing the player more degrees of freedom in terms of their move pool over time which they can choose how they use by creating combos. I plan to add procedural elements into the animations such as overswing and encumbrance based on the avatar's proficiency. The target feel is to make the player grow from a self taught amateur into a master of their weapon.

I am looking for an animator for my dev model. I am a fairly okay generalist, but I am not a good animator.

I am open to any interested collaborators, and can also happy to answer any questions

I am easiest to reach via email: R3ngad33@gmail.com but will be checking back here as well