Home Technical Talk

Baking Albedo / Diffuse Textures

Ignas
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Ignas polycounter lvl 4

Hi Polycount,

I spent the last few hours googling away to find a way to bake albedo / diffuse textures from one 3D object to another.

For anyone that isn't aware of this, you are able to do so in Marmoset Toolbag; you can take an already textured model and transfer / bake those textures on a model that has either been low-polyed or the same model that just has a different UV layout.

There are many uses for this and I was wondering if any other 3D software allows you to do that? - Apart from Marmoset Toolbag.

If I'm not making much sense then please comment and I will try my best to elaborate.

Side note: I use Marmoset Toolbag and I've got nothing against it, I just wanted to experiment with different tools that also allow you to do this.

Replies

• pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter

Well, pretty much any 3d software that supports baking can do that. So, the answer to your question is : all of them...

Since that's probably not the answer you wanted to hear, my advice would simply be to pick the one 3d software you currently have access to, and do it there.

• gnoop
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter

it's usually not a problem at all if you bake form one single object to another. Blender can do it super quick if you bake your albedo in emit slot for example.

A bit more complicated it is when you need to bake many objects to single shell object. Or bake many different objects into single shared texture using another UV channel. It's where some 3d package may be more convenient and flexible than another but as pior said all of them are capable.

As I recall Blender does it one by one consequently so you may want to do it with very small padding and may need to put same target texture in all materials of all objects you want to bake at once.