Home Technical Talk

SOS why is my skinning ass

I copied my weights from the basemesh and modified it using the hammer weights and

smooth weights tool

I've looked into the paint weights too but still can't get it right

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter

are you using the default smooth tool in maya? It doesn't work very great. (it doesnt do a good job of being smart about where to get influences from) Look into getting the NG skin tools plugin if you aren't already. It has smooth brush that actually works as you'd expect.

If using default tools, instead of smooth brush, select appropriate joint (like the hip or leg joints) and use a very light weight and just tap the area to manually smooth it out. It's tedious and destructive work, which is why I highly recommend NG skin tools because that lets you work with layers so its not destructive. It also has some automatic smoothing which works pretty well, you can select vertices and then just push smooth.

As an aside, I also highly recommend to only test compatibility with the actual animations you'll use. Otherwise you'll waste time noodling for every extreme position that will never happen (like here, will you be doing the splits?)