Home Technical Talk

[blender] When to make a copy of mesh vertices vs object mode copy?

My question is essentially, what's the difference in modeling (or the benefits?) of making a copy of a mesh when it is in vertex mode as opposed to object mode?

So what's different if I select the vertices and make a copy as opposed to just selecting in object mode and make a copy and join? other than the extra steps I guess? but does it mess with the parenting of the mesh? does it create an instance?

I'm sure I've been modeling at some point and I created a copy and then one of my copies can't be modified because it's attached to a copy of itself? has that ever happened to anyone? is it similar to using instances in Maya with how you can just modify one and all the rest get modified as well?

Anyway, maybe I'm being confusing, let me know if you need clarification. But thanks anyway!

PS. this is my very first post here, what's this "pin this post to the top of every page in the discussion" nonsense? they're giving me too much power?

Replies

• rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter

Not sure if you actually have an issue or just asking for curiosity.

Technically it makes no difference the moment you join the objects back to one mesh. Although you have more options to mess something up while you have two objects ;)

The one thing I know which can lead to issues is when you have multiple objects using the same mesh data (aka instances) then you can not do every operation (e.g. apply modifier) without a notification that you have to create single user objects-data.

To your initial question.. the main advantage of multiple object copies is that you have multiple pivots you can modify to rotate/scale around quickly.

Also you can select multiple objects and switch into mesh editing mode so you don't have a drawback on this front.