Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Looking for critiques or feedback on my 3d model

Hello everyone, this is my first time posting here. I am hoping to get some feedback/critique's on a 3d project that I plan to use in my portfolio. I recently graduated and I'm looking to land my first position. I appreciate everyone that takes the time to look at and/or comment. Thank you in advance.

Replies

• Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter

Hi! I think it's a nice compact scene. The overall asset quality needs improvement, as well as the lighting/atmosphere (maybe story?).

You could break the scene down into its sub elements (room surfaces, cabinet, bunkbed, pipes, suitcase) and improve them one by one, that way you can also adjust the scope of the project. Use references to make believable assets (construction, surface, wear). Could take a current game as benchmark and try to make the environment fit into that game visually and qualitatively.

Maybe it's good to start with the lighting, so you have a lit, atmospheric blockout, which you can then improve over time. Here is a rough overpaint of possible lighting:

Ah right, you can use overpaints to art direct yourself!

Keep it up 🚀

• nikunsh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nikunsh triangle

Definitely agree with Fabi_G. LIghting is the thing that can make or break a scene. So apart from improving asset quality, definitely spend some time on the lighting if you are going to put this on your portfolio, it will be worth the effort.

• MasterWorks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

You need to focus on lighting and composition. Everything in your scene is lit largely uniformly so it is bland, and the viewer doesn't know where to look. Nothing stands out, unlike the painting from the person who painted over it.

• nexussim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nexussim polygon

Also, I just checked the scene on artstation and I feel that if and when you are happy with the scene and made it look as close to the reference as possible, I would maybe also include the reference photo since you mention it in the project description. As it is, noone knows. I definitely agree on the lighting comments, unless of course you are aiming for an N64 game look which is totally different? If so, I'd mention it in the project description too.