Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Lighthouse scene needing Critiqued.

Offline / Send Message
Pinned

I know I have to spend time on reflectiveness on a few things but please input any critiques for me. It would be very helpful.

Replies

• nexussim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nexussim polygon

I like the look of the sky! One thing I noticed is how uniform everything is. Now...I come from a realism way of thinking so perhaps it applies less to your stylized work, but here it is: I feel things are too uniform. See how all the trees are the same shape and size? I feel there should be variety, some small, some middle some large. Different shapes and leaning angles. Same with the bushes leading up to the lighthouse. (As a side note, the trees look really shiny).

I also feel you could use an awesome hdri for the lighting but turn the visiblity of the hdri scene off and keep what you are using for the sky. But that also depends on your goal. Are you aiming for a classic videogame look? If so, the "muted" lighting look works then.

Anyways, keep up the great work! I think it's a cool scene idea. Oh, just had an idea...what about a moonlit night lighthouse scene with fog after?!

• Doppelwalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Is it that vaporwave style? it feels look like vaporwave style

• Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter

Most notable to me, is that there are no shadows and very strong specular highlights (as you are aware). Similarly to what was already commented, I think it looks quite artificial. If the scene was intended to look realistic/natural, I would gather some reference images regarding island formation, flora, architecture, lighting, ... .

Keep it up!

• Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19

Aside from what's already been stated, here's a few things I'd suggest:

Another thing is the background. It looks like it's just a generic HDRI used for lighting? It's shifting horizon lines in each screenshot, which really throws things out. At the very least, I'd put a horizonal plane in the scene, and color it blue to act as water for now. Should help ground the scene in general, and will help when you're working on shoreline stuff.

• Timmiehay3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Timmiehay3 polycounter lvl 2

I think lowering the saturation makes it easier on the eyes.

I looked up some pictures of palm trees near the sunset and how they interact with light. The highlights seem to be more subtle.

I think the first picture (the one with that creates this gradation with the light) would look perfect with your render and blend in with the atmosphere it has.