Home Career & Education

First Job Interview: What to ask?

SimonKl
triangle
Offline / Send Message
SimonKl triangle

Hey everyone.

Freelancing I have done so far has always been via private clients or people from artstation asking me to model something specific.

Now though I got an interview coming up for a proper studio. Still remote work, however I am definitely nervous about what to ask and how to conduct myself.

Any tips from experience or even someone who has done screening would be life-saving.

Simon

Edit: Just found this section in the polycount wiki: http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Game_Industry#Interviews

I'll go through this now.

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Yeah those should give you plenty of ideas. But feel free to ask for clarity as needed.

Best of luck with the interview!

• SimonKl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonKl triangle

Thanks Eric.

The interview went pretty well I think, since it was set up for 15 min but ended up taking 50 and I got asked to do an Art-Test. That's what I am worried about now.

I should probably create a new topic for this but I have a feeling I'll be asked to create a real world building that could be used inside a huge open world. I have done environments before but I always approached buildings in a modular way to keep the texture res low.

However from what I see from their videos, their buildings are rather low-poly and never seen very close up. Maybe they approach buildings as a whole and don't compose them of modular assets...

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

It's healthy and expected to ask questions when the instructions are vague or incomplete. Treat it like a freelance job for a client, get clarity on what you need to know to complete the job/test to their satisfaction.

• SimonKl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonKl triangle

I will do that. Currently I am exercising a bit.

First I'll go for the regular modular workflow I am used to, then I'll try a more "whole-building-approach".

Any tips for the latter?

• Fabi_G
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter

For whole building approach, you could cover large areas with trims/tiling textures and complement with detail meshes (doors, windows, edge meshes, pillars, ...). If you got rules on amount of material IDs/ customizations, you can atlas accordingly. If it's a released project maybe you can pick out some techniques from existing assets. With questions you can also show your understanding of the intricacies of the asset creation, or document and attach your thought process.

Much success with the task 🚀

• SimonKl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonKl triangle

Very good advice, I appreciate it a lot.

I think tomorrow I'll finish my modular exercise and then I will try to give myself a task for the whole building approach lol.

It is kind of weird to think about giving myself an Art-Test. Maybe I should include a blueprint? Probably reference pictures of the building is what I'll get though, who knows.

Thank you, Fabi!

• zetheros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator

did you ask how much you'll be getting paid? that's probably a pretty good question, apparently artists are a dime a dozen and bad companies are aplenty. If they don't come up with a salary range in the first few meets, it's probably a bad sign