Homeβ€Ί Career & Education

Question regarding portfolio and getting into game dev

Hello everyone!

Some background about me. I'm a partially self-taught 3D Artist who specializes in Props and Environments. I followed a few different study programs related to video game development but I dropped out of each of them because I wasn't really interested in studying and pursuing a degree. After failing to pursue a degree, I decided to strictly build my portfolio and basically learn to become a self-taught 3D Artist.

My biggest concern and fear is whether can I get any kind of job as a 3D Artist with no experience in internships or degree? Apart from that, I worked as a photo editor for magazines and advertisements a long time ago. All I want is brutal and honest feedback about my portfolio and of course some advice.

Here's my ArtStation: artstation.com/beblin07

And here's my latest project:

Replies

• Benjammin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Benjammin greentooth

You need more stuff. Your portfolio tells me you can model/texture hard surface assets at a basic level, but grungy hard surface stuff is the easiest thing to do with modern tools. The fire extinguisher doesn't tell me anything about your skills that your big scene doesn't - Its still grungy hard surface πŸ˜‰.

I recommend reordering your images in that big scene, too: The renders are fine, but you want your breakdown images (ie: demonstrating your actual 3d skills) to be seen sooner - a busy art director might well close that tab before scrolling halfway down, and most of them don't tell me anything about your relevant skills.

Try your hand at some more complex props, ideally something very different.

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter

I'd be more concerned about polishing this up to be honest. It's not bad by any stretch but there are a handful of schoolboy errors that could be fairly quickly resolved and make the piece a lot more hire-worthy

The scene is hard to read in most of your images because it's basically got layers of noise at various scales all over it - this comes from the shadows, the crap on the floor, the weird foggy stuff etc. You're basically camouflaging rather than highlighting areas of interest. Another look at lighting, maybe the arrangement of the props and the FX would be worth the effort I think

and

I'm not getting a great sense of scale. The relative size of the tiles to mortar and their apparent thickness is the major contributor but the folds in the curtains look a bit off, as does the thickness of the metal tubes on the construction light. They're all small things in isolation but consistency of scale is really important to making a scene believable.

• beblin07
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I appreciate everyone's feedback! I managed to remove the noise which was caused by volumetric fog. Also changed the lighting as subtle as possible to keep the mood of this environment.

• Tiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tiles greentooth

I would fire the tiler. The joints between the tiles are still much too big. They are usually not more than 5 to 8 milimeters. Here it looks more 5 cm ...

Besides that, great scene :)

• Larry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
  • Tiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tiles greentooth