Home Career & Education

what kind of 3d related skills can you learn as self-tought

focus_method
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
focus_method polycounter lvl 4

hi,

what kind of 3d related skills can you learn as self-tought from home to land a job whether its remotely or in-house ?

Replies

• Tiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tiles greentooth

Nowadays? Everything. You will find for everything a Youtube tutorial :)

• Larry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry interpolator

In my internship I quickly noticed that entry level 3d artists are rarely needed unless you work in an outsourcing studio. Better learn one of those combinations as well

Blueprints, Houdini, coding languages according to your target game engine

Or

Rigging, skinning, animation.

Or

Concept art, UI/UX

• focus_method
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    focus_method polycounter lvl 4

i think what is worth is:

rigging (+ is scripting)

grooming real time

• Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter

If you want to make 3d models for games, I recommend learning how to import/setup content in a game engine, maybe how to build a simple scene + lighting. This way you are able to get an accurate preview of your content. To learn, you can check out the engines' documentation, download and inspect sample projects or follow tutorials.

Generally good to become proficient in research and debugging problems.

Another thing that can help is doing sketches or overpaints. Not with the intend to produce pretty images, but to understand the subject better.

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter

Learn to be good at the job you want.

If adding scripting or rigging to your skillset means you get better results then it's worth the effort but don't work under the assumption that a wider skillset will compensate for lower quality output and make you more employable because it won't.

• chien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chien polycounter lvl 13

if self learning, you can maybe get beginners stuffs, but will have many directions and will be unsure to which one will be helpfull,