Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Completed] Fantasy creature

Hi! This is my very first post here.

This is not my first sculpt or my first try at creating a character optimized for games, but it was my first try at creating something that looked a little better than beginner art. I know its not amazing and I know I have a lot to learn, but I was happy enough with the result that I decided to share my work :)

For this project I tried to stick as much as possible with Blender, I only used Photoshop a little to make some tweaks to the textures. That means that I painted all the maps in blender (including roughness and metallic). It was kinda weird honestly, now I'm learning Substance Painter and I notice how this workflow was not the best way to do that.

The topology is not great, I could improve it to make it less dense, but I decided to move on and try to improve it in my next project.

Also, the fur is not really that good, I positioned by hand every poly to make the fur and I noticed that this is not the best workflow. There is probably a better way to do that, I have to research more to understand how I can do that faster and with better results.

I also rigged the model and animated. I don't really like this animation, there is a lot to be improved, but I guess its serviceable. Making an animation fluid is a lot harder than I expected.

There is also a problem with the fur in the animation, there are some points that the bone weights are not set correctly, but I decided to move on (I worked on this project a lot and I don't really have a lot of free time, I want to make more projects and improve as I go)

My takeaways from this project:

sculpting in Blender is really cool and I loved how I can easily change my workflow between sculpting and polygonal modeling, but is also very limited compared with Zbrush, Some basic things such as polypainting compatible with multires is not available, I cant mask by cavity or by AO without a plugin and the performance is not good. I loved the workflow, but there is a lot to be improved.

Painting individual maps is fun but Substance Painter is a gift to mankind when it comes to that, I wish I learned this software before making this project.

Thanks a lot for looking at my work, and all constructive criticism is welcomed :)