Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Texture Critique

I recently reworked the textures on this model and would love some feedback. I feel like the brass is close but I'm not entirely sure what is off with it. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time!

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter

Are you rendering with an HDRI? Its difficult to get metal to look metallic without one, I've found.

• Hallazeall
    Offline / Send Message
    Hallazeall polygon

Theres couple things here id have something to say:

One is modeling. Its hard to catch here whats going on. Its very unbalanced with 2 big shapes and a lot of small beams coming from middle of the sword. (no idea how its called)

Wood on the handle looks like a panel ripped from a floor. You can do it with a better wood texture. I dont think this is the best one to pick here.

You have blade which is pretty worn out, but handle looks like its brand new. Damage the wood. Make it worn out and dirty.

Whole model looks very flat. Maybe add some more bevels to model. Especially to longer small parts, so light catches the edges in nice way. And it looks like roguhness map is very flat. There is no diference between wood and metal. Maybe its rendering thing. Look up marmoset rendering tutorials, might be handy.

• sarasumm
    Offline / Send Message
    sarasumm polycounter lvl 4

I think the scale of the wood texture is a bit too small. The knots in the wood would be much larger on a handle that size. However, I really like the look you're getting out of it (even if it's not perfectly realistic). You could try adjusting the texture a bit to make the knots less noticeable while still keeping that grain pattern. The blade itself could use some more visual interest, maybe adjusting the texture on the edges to make it appear more sharp.

Cool design!

• Vertrucio
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio greentooth

The sharpened blade edges definitely need a different metallic texture. Usually they're ground to produce the edge, the the edge if sharpened further with a finder grit. So you not only have a different angle of metal grain, you then have a much more metallic edge.