Home Technical Talk

What are your 3ds max hotkeys and shortcuts to work faster?

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
マルコ polycounter lvl 3

Hi guys, after maybe a decade not really touching 3d, I'm about to re-learn 3d studio max.

The problem is I don't think I've ever learned some very efficient ways to work, so this would be the perfect occasion for me to forget the old habits and learn the most efficient and productive ways professionals use, so I would really appreciate if you guys could share your favorite hotkeys and tips to work faster with me.

I'm sure the addition of the Ribbon toolbar at the time brought a bunch of very useful or improved "new" tools, which at the time I've largely ignored in favor of sticking with my old ways, so I would be really interested in knowing which of these have become your "new" favorite "go to" tools (and their hotkeys).

Feel free to share any hotkey/tips you use for everyone's sake, but for reference if you want to help me in the specific, I'm mostly interested in the modelling part of the software.

I'm interested even in the very basics, for instance right now I am of two minds between if I should keep rotating the camera with CTRL+R as I've always did or if I should force myself to get used to holding ALT+MMB. Or maybe there is some better way?

Looking forward to learn how most people works 🤗

Replies

• Kanni3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master

Find what works for you is more important than what others may use (it could provide some inspiration though i guess). For a start, do some modeling and be mindful of any operations that take up a lot of time navigating, long mouse travelling, lots of clicking etc - you can then search for that operation and hot key it. Things like weld, collapse, bridge, cap, center pviot, xform are really basic and common operations that all have a lot of "mouse travel" to execute.

• killnpc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter

Bind Editpoly's connect, collapse, target weld, cut, edge constraint toggle, isolate selection, xray

Use shift-drag to extrude edges and faces

Right-click the up/down arrows on the x,y,z coordinate text fields to set them to zero

Bind the unwrap modifier and save the default settings how you like them. There's a setting that will automatically open the UV editor when an epoly mesh is highlighted; I like this.

Bind the UV stitch-and-move to quickly snap a UV element to a highlighted edge.

Bind the UV relax.

These are a few binds I like from off the cuff.

• マルコ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    マルコ polycounter lvl 3

Thank for the reply guys, I've went ahead and created a custom keybinding setup based on personal experience and the feedback I've received from you 😊

I haven't added anything about the UV because right now I'm mostly focused on the modeling part so I'm not in the mood to mess up with it, I'll tackle it in the future.

Furthermore I've added the same bindings to Edit Poly and Edit Mesh as well, which are considerate separate from Editable Poly, just in case one where to use them for wathever reason.

I'll attach the keybinding file down below for anyone that might find it useful, or for my future self to find it when I inevitably lose the content of my harddisk for the Nth time xD

Hope someone will find it useful 😊

Keybindings:

No modifier = very important action
    Ctrl modifier = important action or related/inverse to the action that use the same key but without the modifier
    Alt modifier = might come in handy action
    Ctrl + Shift modifier = rarely useful

---Modelling---
    Select Sub-Object Ring    : Ctrl+W
    Select Sub-Object Loop    : Ctrl+E
    Select Edgeloop down add  : Up Arrow
    Select Edgeloop up add    : Down Arrow
    Select Edgering down add  : Right Arrow
    Select Edgering up add    : Left Arrow

Grow Selection            : Spacebar
    Shrink Selection          : Ctrl+Spacebar
    Connect Settings          : C
    Connect                   : Ctrl+C
    Distance Connect          : Alt+C
    Target Weld               : T
    Collapse                  : Ctrl+T
    Chamfer Settings          : F
    Chamfer Mode              : Ctrl+F
    Inset Settings            : Q
    Bevel Settings            : CTRL+Q
    Edge Constraint Toggle    : "key above tab" (which in my keyboard has a different symbol than most)
    Face Constraint Toggle    : Ctrl+"key above tab"
    Norm Constraint Toggle    : Alt+"key above tab"
    Attach                    : Alt+A
    Detach                    : Alt+D
    Bridge                    : B
    Cap                       : Ctrl+B 
    Cut Mode                  : V
    Swift Loop                : Ctrl+V
    Quick Slice               : Alt+V
    Make Planar               : Ctrl+0 (works also with Ctlr plus the 0 from the numpad)
    Invert Selection          : Alt+I

---SubObject visibility---
    Hide Selected             : Ctrl+H (for some reason this keybind doesn't work, despite it isn't conflicting with anything)
    Hide Unselected           : Ctrl+I (for "isolate")
    Unhide All                : Ctrl+U

---Object visibility---
    Hide Selection            : H
    Hide Unselected           : I (for "isolate")
    Unhide All                : U

---Pivot---
    Affect Pivot Only         : Ctrl+P

Perspective User View     : F5
    Orthographic User View    : F6
    Transform Gizmo Axis Constraint Cycle : F7
    Expert Mode toggle        : Shift+X
    Zoom Extents              : P
    Reset X-Form              : Ctrl+Alt+X
    Snap Toggle               : S
    Snap Quad-Menu            :Ctrl+S

--Changed or Removed---
    Viewport Background       : Ctrl+Shift+B  (assigned to free Alt+B usage)
    Edit Soft Selection       : Alt+B (assigned to free B usage)
    Sound Toggle              : (removed to free "the key above TAB")
    Camera View               : (removed to free "C")
    Create Camera physical from view : (removed to free "Ctrl+C")
    Edge Turn                 : (removed to free "Ctrl+T")
    Clone                     : (removed to free "Ctrl+V")
    Select by Name            : (removed to free "H")
    Hold                      : (removed to free "Ctrl+H")
    Group Attach              : (removed to free "Ctrl+U")
    Orthographic user view    : (removed to free "U")
    Perspective user view     : (removed to free "P")
    Transform Gizmo Constraint X : (removed to free "F5")
    Transform Gizmo Constraint Y : (removed to free "F6")
    Transform Gizmo Constraint Z : (removed to free "F7")
    Select Object Active Shade   :  (removed to free "Q")
    Constraint to Edges          :  (removed to free "Shift+X")
    Keyboard Shortcut Override   : removed
    Pan Viewport                 : (removed to free "I")
    Save File                    : (removed to free "Ctrl+S")

• マルコ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    マルコ polycounter lvl 3

@killnpc I haven't added xray because I wasn't seeying the befit from it rather than using Wireframe (F3) as I've always did. But there is also the fact I haven't ever used xray so maybe its simply that I don't know it's strengths or what I'm missing on.

Can you explain why you consider it worth binding in your setup? :)

• Kanni3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master

Making your selected model/mesh transparent will simply just give you the ability to see other shapes/reference images is all :) default is alt+x

• マルコ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    マルコ polycounter lvl 3

I see, makes perfect sense.

Also, I wanted to force myself to use "Expert Mode" view, but for example, how do access the modifier panel to add a Symmetry?

There is no way to bring up the modifier panel only temporarily? (going in and out "Expert Mode" is not the smoothest of trainsitions,at least on my pc)

• Kanni3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master

Any reason you'd "force" yourself to use it? I agree that it's nice to have a ton of screen real estate, but UI is integral. You may be better off getting used to some interface for unavoidable/unhotkeyable things like access to the modifier stack, uv windows, ribbon tools etc :)

• killnpc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter

I think this way. It's to declutter your workspace. It will also encourage me to assign any necessary hotkeys and begin integrating it. I grew complacent after a few years of production, I never made time to fiddle with customization, which is unfortunate because having a little personalized key system muscle memorized is f*cking satisfying to say the least.

X-ray view isn't critical.

Snap will be useful.

• マルコ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    マルコ polycounter lvl 3

Indeed, updated the list above and added the Snap and Snap Quad Menu, along with some other stuff.

Noticebly disabled "Keyboard Shortcut Override", which I had toggled by mistake and almost sent me insane trying to figure out why my shortcurts where suddenly broken

It's funny that is now taking me more time to go and check the .txt to see what is what rather than just clicking the icon 😂 But I think I can learn it over time 😋

• pxgeek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pxgeek keyframe

The ones I like:

-remapping delete to "x"

-binding Pedro's Super Smart Create to "c"

-hotkey for going up and down the mod stack

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Online / Send Message

For expert mode, you can hotkey the Command Panel, Time Slider, Ribbon, etc. to spawn/despawn as needed.

• Klunk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Klunk ngon master

quite partial to lightwaves

"=" hide unselected

"-" hide selected

"/" unhide all