Home Technical Talk

[Marmoset Toolbag / Substance Painter] Normals look poor in Substance Painter but fine in Marmoset

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
coolguyslims polycounter lvl 2

Hello,

I'm working on a weapon model for my portfolio and have started to import my assets into Substance Painter for texturing, but have encountered a problem. My model is going to be rendered in Marmoset and it looks great there, but when I import my assets for Substance Painter the normals and lighting look really bad.

In Marmoset it looks nice. I'm going to render it here anyways and I'll keep updating my textures and checking how they look in Marmoset, so I don't know how much it really matters. The rest of the parts of the gun look poor in Substance too, but not as bad.

In Substance it looks really odd. I suspect this has something to do with the tangents being computed differently in Substance and in Marmoset, but I'm not going to pretend that I know much else about it. I did some quick looking around and saw that I should enable Substance to compute tangent space per fragment, but it didn't seem to do anything. Are my normal maps in the wrong format? I'm using DirectX in Painter, I don't know what Marmoset defaults their maps to.

So what gives?

Thanks.

EDIT:

Switching to OpenGL helped, but I still have this horrible lighting on that extruded triangle bit towards the back of the model.

Replies