Home Technical Talk

Odd triangular artifacts when baking a triangulated mesh in substance painter

Hey everyone,

I am trying to Bake my low poly Chest asset with a high poly mesh. I triangulated the mesh and shaded everything smooth since there are no super hard edges and exported everything as an FBX. After loading them into substance and attempting to bake the high to low I noticed there are a couple faces on one of the meshes that have dark triangular artifacts. Program used to model is Blender.

Any help is appreciated!

Here are my UV's

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter

Upload your low.

• Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter

+1 for uploading, less guessing.

Guessing: Got mirrored parts? Offset UVs of those parts by 1, so they are ignored during baking. This will also avoid artifacts when using masks projected in 3d space (pixels at different positions in 3d space compete for same pixel on the texture).

When using mirror or array modifiers in blender, you can set the UV offset directly in the modifier. With duplicates/instances use UV warp modifier to offset UVs.

Note unrelated to issue: Got a few UV borders that are almost straight and would benefit from being straightened to reduce visible seams (Aliasing on seams).

• iam717
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iam717 greentooth

90% of this is a box like structure so you would have a lot of long rectangles, even the "handling" areas if cut down the center where it is "hidden from view", can be rectangles. Which would make packing this a lot better and you get some more real estate for "uv islands", for more texture density.