Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Concept character: Circus performer

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
vavavoom polycounter lvl 11

This is the latest concept character I made. I kind of rushed it through from the original idea I had in my head to try and improve my presentation skills and get a new concept piece out there that was more interesting visually than my other stuff.

Most of my work seems to be missing something in terms of presentation and everything is pretty basic.

I'm not really sure if or how I can take the character further in any ways, so I'm posting here for any feedback, comments, etc.

The Character was sculpted in Zbrush and follows my usual topology workflow, whereby everything is started from a base pose, nice and clean working up from low subd levels....until I get to trying to pose the characters and then it's a case of doing whatever it takes to work and things can get messy.

Anyways, hope some people like it :)

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/6b3vZw

*updated after feedback

Replies

• YairMorr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YairMorr polygon

@vavavoom I can spot two issues with the presentation - lighting and pose. The lighting is very flat in your images and the shadows are missing. It doesn't help with presenting your model.

As for the pose - it's very stiff and unnatural. The back is straight, when it can be a bit more curvy and flowing. Use reference images when posing and try to understand the line of action for your character and how you can pose different limbs to follow it. Check out this guide:

Hope this helps! I'd love to see more of your work :)

• vavavoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Thanks @YairMorr

Yeah, I really wanted to push the pose more, particularly the arch of the back. The Tom and Jerry references are great to highlight how to push poses better and much appreciated :)

I wish I could learn the skill to rig characters to make posing my sculpts a much better/faster process with better results. Also, yeah, my lighting skills are a problem and are limited to just changing variables in the PBR shadows tab in Zbrush....

I'm trying to pump out concepts to build my own fantasy sci-fi universe of sorts.

It feels like an impossible task alone, and I've always wondered how do new ideas and stories get brought to life?

I've tentatively tried searching for other people to collaborate with who may share an interest in the genre and ideas, and can bring more skills to help bring things to life, but I haven't gotten anywhere with that (and i'm a poor, so can't pay anyone to join).

I've got other concepts of varying quality and progress (some embarrassingly bad >_< ) on my Artstation page, but they also have the same issues.

My main goal is to concept the look/style/ideas of a new story and universe as best i can. I wish i could bring it to life in the hopes that one day maybe it can be taken to the next level somehow.

I'm purely just a concept artist at this stage, so am really grateful for your feedback and advice how to improve my concepts and the help sell my ideas better.

Thanks again for your feedback!

edit: oh, and I forgot to ask in my OP in terms of feedback, how about the overall design/costume/look of the character, is it interesting or lacking in those aspects in any way?

• vavavoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Had a try at improving the presentation. Tried to change lighting and shadows to improve it following feedback.

The pose still remains unworked, but I hope to come back to it at a later time when I finish up other things....