Home Technical Talk

[Help] Best approach to texturing a game asset (stylized house) [SOLVED]

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
lucardo polycounter lvl 3

Hello everybody,

I made the concept below for a stylized house, that I want to model and have it optimized for videogames. I want to create a scene in Unreal Engine. (I'm a complete novice at this btw, so I apologize if my questions doesn't make much sense)

I'm trying to plan ahead of time, how am I going to handle the texturing, and materials.

Edit: I want to make the textures with substance painter. I don't want to hand paint the textures.

Should I make some kind of trim sheet, to be used by the wood, metal (is the base of the wood columns), roof and stone parts?

Then a tileable texture for the plaster and the ground/grass?

Should the roof be one tileable texture?

Should I uniquely unrwarp and texture the whole model?

Please let me know how would you tackle this model, as if it were done to a real game.

Thank you!

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I would suggest checking out a tutorial like Shubham Kumar's house and adapting the process to work with your concept art.

http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Modular_environments

• lucardo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Hi @Eric Chadwick , Thank you for your suggestion. I read the whole article (but I'll need to read it a couple more times haha). I'll try to adapt it for sure.

I finished the low poly modeling of the house. I know it is not relevant anymore, but in case someone is curious:

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Keep going, this is looking great!

A couple more relevant resources from the wiki:

Modular Mount & Blade

Pirate castle (UDK)

• lucardo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Ah, thank you again @Eric Chadwick! Particularly, the Pirate castle post has a lot of what I wanted to know, especially about the textures, since he shared the ones that he did. Interesting that he did a 4096 x 2048 texture, divided in 8 1K squares. I didn't had the time to look to the whole thread, but I'm sure to give it a good read.

Yesteday I tried to UV unwrap everything into a single texture. Now I'll see If I do a couple of different textures for it.

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

That's one way of doing it, but that's not modular at all.

All the resources I posted are about modular approaches. Not necessary to use, but it is a good skill to learn, and can really help improve quality.

• lucardo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Yes, and I want and intend to learn how to make modular assets.

One thing that I'm struggling a lot to understand, is how would Textures work in modular assets.

For example, let's say I have some wood floor, a plaster wall and some wood columns.

Would I make a texture for each one, and then in Unreal create 3 diferent materials, one with each texture?

Or should I then combine the 3 textures into 1, big texture, essentially creating a texture atlas, which in Unreal will become 1 single material?

Also, when doing this multiple textures, there will be no such thing as optimizing UV space right? (since I won't be trying to fit a bunch of UVs in one texture, and overlapping will be ok).

In the Pirate Castle thread, if I understood correctly, there were some textures (in red) that are re-usable for diferent assets.

While the ones in Blue, seem to be more unique, or, for specific assets. Did I got this right?

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Yes, some are non-tiling, but with modular textures usually you want them to be tile-able, so you can get more reuse.

I would suggest you check out Shubham's house next, that's a more "modern" way of doing modular textures and materials.