Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

3D Character - WIP

node
Offline / Send Message
Reni_V node

Hi everyone! I was a bit scared so start posting on polycount but here I am :). I will be working on a few projects for the next 2-3 months. So here I will post my progress and hopefully get some feedback.

I started working on a character based on a concept by Pavel Hristov: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/L3bwoA

I will try to make a better hair block out and finish sculpting details on clothes and skin by the end of this week. I am still not sure how to go about the jewellery. If any of you have suggestions it will be nice :).

Replies

• iam717
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iam717 greentooth

Welcome, i remember my 1st time, can't be as bad as mine, got "roasted" by a popular creator entering a contest (was a wee lad), once upon a time, they are no longer with us(rip), but i appreciated it.

To: "I am still not sure how to go about the jewellery. If any of you have suggestions it will be nice :)."

Suppose lots of references might help, just did a simple search on the topic:

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Xn46XD - your choice to purchase, me myself, i'd just use it as reference for the look i was attempting to achieve.

Concept appears "a touch stylized to me" but i can see how it can go either way, looks like a good start, just be sure to achieve the goal with the piece and go all out on every aspect, if you can (have the time for it). All the best.

• Reni_V
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reni_V node

Thank you! I am honestly always open to feedback. But sometimes I feel anxious posting on social media. Anyways...

Thanks for your suggestions! I guess when it comes to the final product I will try to go for a semirealistic/realistic look but I will probably experiment with it. It's more like a challenge for me to explore some styles and workflow. I already have one realistic character to work on so this one will be more for fun and hopefully still be portfolio material. Best wishes.

• carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character

She has tiny arms with huge hands , brow is quite extreme for a female , her belly is rather flat also you could split forms using the 3 lines there linia alba and semilunaris , neck is almost a head in length so might want to revisit that as well , half a head is a good target

• Reni_V
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reni_V node

Thank you! That's very helpful. I will check on those things and fix them as much as I can.

• YairMorr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YairMorr polygon

Welcome to Polycount! I'm new here as well :) Your work looks great! My one comment is about the ribs - they are too visible in my opinion. While the rest of the character looks healthy, the ribs area indicates a malnutrition situation, so that creates a contradiction. Other than that, wonderful! I'm looking forward to see more progress.

• Reni_V
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reni_V node

Thank you and welcome! Yes, I was thinking of making the ribs less visible before I start making any skin details. I made some changes to the sculpt so I will probably post it later. Thanks for your suggestion. Good luck with your Polycount journey :)

• Reni_V
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reni_V node

Hi everyone! Thanks for all of your previous comments. Sometimes you can't see your mistakes until someone points them out. Anyways here is the progress I made so far with her. I think I will try to finish the high poly tomorrow to a point where it's decent so I can make some backing chacks. I still have to make a better hair block out but that is something for when I have more time.

• iam717
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iam717 greentooth

Overlay and 50% opacity this img to double check all the stuff, if you are using zbrush you can do it "easier", with the opacity slider in the app and have this img open in the bg behind the application and you can see what might need fixing even though doing all this in a painting program will be more helpful since you can type/draw on the img you will use to reference what needs correcting, its what i do, think of it like self c&c, while you wait for c&c.. You can also use a mirror to check where your arms go to your nude body in reference to this model, since you are a female i am presuming, best reference can be yourself in front of a mirror. All the best thanks for response, no need to be anxious we can't jump through the screen.

• Reni_V
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reni_V node

Yes, I know that methought. I will do that before starting the retopology. Thank you!

• Reni_V
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reni_V node

Hi everyone, a little update on this project. I decided to focus on the clothing retopology to see if the backing works fine. I think it looks pretty good for now. I will probably fix the topology in a few places like the bag. But overall I think I did a good job. There are still a few places that have issues with the baking but I will fix them next week. For now, I put a quick texture just to see how it looks in UE4 (I am using the Digital Human pack). And I am quite happy with the result (obviously I will make a detailed texture later). The next step is making the UVs layout suitable for games and fixing the baking errors on the spots that are more visible.

Topology

In Substance

UE4 Scene

• vavavoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vavavoom polycounter lvl 11

Really like the way it's shaping up in UE. It's amazing how good materials and lighting bring things to life.

Good to see you take the plunge and posting your work online. I was the same and was so nervous putting my art out there at first. I'm still quite shy about sharing my art online, but the more you do the more confident you'll get i'm sure :)

As for any feedback, I really like the how the clothes and accessories are coming along (envious). The anatomy is hard to judge for me without seeing the full body to see a more complete view of the proportions, but there is one thing that maybe can be improved. The lip/nose area seems to make the nose too upturned perhaps?

It's hard to judge without a flat side view of the head, but I tried a quick and messy photoshop to see if increasing the gap between nose septum and top lip improved it.

Nice work, look forward to seeing more progress :)

• Reni_V
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reni_V node

Thanks for your feedback! I really needed an opinion on the face since it's very hard to figure it out from this angle. I will be working on her today so I will probably post an update soon :)

• Reni_V
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reni_V node

Hi everyone, it's been a while since I posted here. I had to leave this project for some time but now I have an update on it.

Here I have the substance painter render.

This is the unreal render I made today. I still have some things to work on for the texture but I will probably do that later on. I am not really good with lighting so if anyone has suggestions that would be great.

• Reni_V
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reni_V node

Hi guys!

I decided to call this project done and post it on Artstation. You can check it out here:

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Qnlon8

Thanks for all of the feedback! Expect more new work soon :)