Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Napoleonic Era Character

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
loshmiii polycounter lvl 7

I'm working on some Napoleonic era character. Currently I'm still on sculpting in Zbrush, but I took some fast render and done some rework in Photoshop. I was not intending to create something big with this coloring in PS, but I really had a great time.

Since I'm still working on head sculpt, I'm welcome for any advice that would help me to improve this head. If someone see some wrong shape or anything like that, just let me know. Also on picture below it's possible to see how entire character should look like. I have created some basic shape of trouser in MD and imported it in Zbrush while coat is just a sketch made in Zbrush. Next thing that I plan to do is to finish head sculpt and add some details on it. Also I plan to create a hair in xGen.

Any advice for improvement is welcome.

EDIT 1: If anyone have some good tutorial about how to create some coat like on picture below in Marveleous Designer, please forward it to me.

EDIT 2: This one is funny question, but can that PS sketch that I have created, count as 2D Concept art for portfolio?

Replies

• iam717
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iam717 greentooth

Can only answer this atm, "EDIT 2: This one is funny question, but can that PS sketch that I have created, count as 2D Concept art for portfolio?" i really like the old quoting system where we can edit where we want to address from the op, new one prevents this.. Not to you Loshmii.

some say it doesn't matter how you got to the goal as long as the goal is really well done, I'd put it with the 3d post somewhere though it can just be seen as self management to me, i generally think it depends on your goals of employment, for pro, they have concept artists so if you want to do just sculpting or 3d character work then leave it out? if you want to go for small indy type studios or small teams where people do many things leave it in. I myself post everything and hope they understand that i value my time and am proud of all my work since I've come a long way. (not that anyone else hasn't) that is how i see it.

Do what you think is best hopefully someone comes around that is a HR for character work and they might give you better insights to this. Looks like a good start.

• loshmiii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

@iam717 Thanks for taking your time to answer, I have understood the point. Long time ago I heard that it is the best to focus on one thing, and just try to master it. So maybe I will keep to that.

Today I took some time to work in MD and try to create a coat. I'm still far away from final look but I'm starting to move toward how the final model might look like. Since I'm still not skilled enough in MD, I was unable to recreate all details there but I will keep learning. Also I decided to use other color scheme.

• loshmiii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Today I have continued to work on a head in order to hopefully finish it in the next few days. Today my goal was to give it a better form and more natural look. I don't have ref person or picture but goal is to create middle age man (50 - 60 years). Probably I will work on improvement of this form maybe for about few days more before placing final detail for skin.

Any advice or suggestion is more than welcome.

• carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character

Proportions look a bit off check your head size !

Jowl doesnt work right now they appear on very limited area kind of mid part of the jaw in side view get a ref for this area also his chin is too small or mouth is too low

If you he has double triple chin he will have the same on the back his neck !