Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Any tips for photorealism on this Mac model?Trying really hard to make this as realistic as possible

samarth7523
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
samarth7523 polycounter lvl 2

Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• iam717
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iam717 greentooth

Nice, what did you use to render, how come this img takes 4ever to load :( otherwise, atm i am sitting near a tower that has tape and an appointment card, so stickers or posted notes on the pc with some info of some kind, the usual labels of the "hardware" manufacturer label somewhere, coffee stains or drink stains on the table more visible scratches, those indents on the table aren't deep enough i do not think, or cheat it with maybe darker AO at the pit in separation between the wood. Mention the pit ins because i am also sitting near a mahogany table.

pictures on the brick wall, there are no lights in that room aside from the window? what is that behind the PC area at the backwall, seems odd to me but then could be a manual blinds object for window? what is this room supposed to be? a clothing designers work room?

Many questions but looks like a good start hopefully others who know more about this can chime in.

Edit, who ever uses that PC must be a giant or have extremely long arms.

• samarth7523
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    samarth7523 polycounter lvl 2

Thanks for replying!

THe background is just an hdri, I am not working on that. I am just woking on the model. Good idea about posted notes and coffee satins, will definitely try to add those.

• rexo12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rexo12 interpolator

I think you've generally got the materials and modelling down, although I don't think - and correct me if i'm wrong - an Apple II (?) would be able to render any sort of website (and certainly not at that resolution or colour depth).

Composition and overall set dressing needs work, as suggested. Things like notes, coffee stains and such are a decision for you to make based on what narrative you want to tell. They'll certainly help make your work more emotive and interesting, but they are kind of tangential to the notion of 'photorealism', which I'll say more about in a moment.

Focusing purely on the technical problems:

Your shot doesn't look composed. It feels unfocused, as if you aren't sure (or you haven't thought about) what you want to communicate to the viewer. I feel like I am - as the viewer - 3 inches tall. There's a lack of margins around your subject matter - such as the corners of the screen and keyboard being cropped off the top and bottom, which looks amateurish. The extreme angle and wide focal length distorts the scale of everything in the shot. I can't tell where I'm supposed to be looking in the frame, I think my first pass focused on the red drapes in the background rather than your subject matter.

There are also obvious issues with texture scaling on the desk-top and an overall distorted sense of proportion caused by a combo of your composition, background and set-dressing.

My 2-cents on 'photorealism' is that reality is actually boring, and is not what you should be striving for as an artist. Good photorealism is as much a stylism as any other, which means that considerations like composition and your artistic narrative still apply. You should be trying to tell a story through your work, otherwise why should I (the viewer) care? I think the challenge with photorealism as an art style is incorporating your narrative and personal artistic flair into the piece subtly enough to maintain that illusion. I'd recommend researching the style and seeing what you can learn from some of its canonical pieces.

• trevillaengineering
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage

I think you should increase the focal length of the camera as well; looking kind of fish-eyed as it stands. Very extreme perspective distortion.

• YairMorr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YairMorr polygon

Nice job! Actually your model looks pretty much realistic already. It has the right amount of dirt on it. I would maybe add some dirt on the keyboard? But that's an extra detail. I think what makes the image seems CG is the setup and the focal length (as someone had already mentioned above).

Take a look at photos of the same computer. You will usually find old photos, showing mundane environment, usually cluttered. Here are some examples:

The camera angle is less dramatic in those images. The lighting is toned down as well, a bit softer. The colors are more towards yellow. The most important thing is the environment - it shows someone's life with books and hobbies, etc. In comparison, in your render the computer appears in the middle of an empty table - an odd place for a computer. This immediately gives away the realism.

I hope this helps. Good luck!