Home Adobe Substance

Some questions abuot workflow and texturing. :)

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Gikkio polycounter lvl 8

Hello friends, thanks for reading this post I take this opportunity to wish everyone health and happiness. :)

I have a couple of questions regarding Substance.

1) how is it convenient to organize the work for the export in SUB?

Yes, I know technically how to do it, but I can't choose a regular one for exporting from Blender to Sub, how to choose and organize TEXTURE SETs.I state that I export not single meshes, but entire scenes.

Should I organize the TEXTURE SETS by "material type"?

For example, grouping EVERYTHING that is aluminum material into one set? Or by object? A whole building in one set, a whole bicycle for a set. I noticed that the "heaviness" of the SUB work does not depend on the polygons, but on the number of texture sets. What am I wondering HOW do I optimize and organize sets in SUBSTANCE P?

2) Another question, I see that SUB P unwrap is not as valid as my manual unwrap in Blender. However, using TRIPLANAR mode, you still manage to arrange the textures perfectly. Should I use SUB P's unwrap and triplanar mode, or my UV and UV mapping mode? thanks friends.

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter

Painter requires proper UVs if you want to paint on anything

You get one texture per texture set. Whatever you put in it has to share the space.

Each unique material in your exported file will generate a texture set.

As a rule of thumb I'd recommend not exporting a whole scene to painter. It's not very good at dealing with shit loads of stuff

• gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter

I would suggest to forget the word "convenient" in relation to any CG related soft . Once you accept the fact it's never ever going to be convenient you just make yourself accustomed to work with what you got and not wasting your time trying to find such or fighting with your current one .

Think of Painter not as exactly painter , rather material applier as some other user named it in other thread, It's not a soft to do UV, not a soft to make materials , not even a soft to composite materials really. You can but it does it in a bit blurry way, not super pixel to pixel accurate. Just a soft to apply materials with a few masks. You can do it straight in Blender too actually, just in a bit more complex way.

it could be convenient probably if it would allow to scatter real geometry details, physics aware, on surfaces, grow grass and hairs etc and let you bake it down to textures but it would never happen my guess .

• Gikkio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gikkio polycounter lvl 8

Thanks now I understand. thank for your help, have a good day.