Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Help making my character look like the concept :(

Offline / Send Message
Pinned

Hello!

I am starting a new character and I'm having some trouble making it look like in the concept. Any tips you can give me on what to change and improve? Also, ignore the neck haha

Thanks!

Replies

• jgarrison
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jgarrison polycounter lvl 5

Your ears are convex when in the concept art they are concave, I would also take another look at his forehead... I'm not an anatomy expert and so I don't know how to express it, but he's slightly got this kind of thing going on:

Also, I would block in the hair, eyebrows and beard before you go any further. You might think that it's a waste of time if you're planning on using fibers/particles or hair cards later (as i have thought), but it's really difficult to get it to look right otherwise. After you do that, you might find that it's already a lot closer to the concept than you think. It's looking pretty close, you got this!

edit: the concept art also reads a lot older than your sculpt, but I think that mostly has to do with high-frequency details like wrinkles. Also, are you using zbrush? If so, and if you didn't already know about it, "see-through mode" can be a real lifesaver for checking your proportions: http://docs.pixologic.com/user-guide/3d-modeling/reference-images/see-through-mode/

• carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character

Try this [image below] focus on skull -> cheeks jaw forehead brow

In side view africans usually have protruding chin and mouth further then the rest of the face

• ArtOfGael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Thanks! I'll try your suggestions!