Home Career & Education

How long it takes to get a decent job?

I know, I know. Kind of a stupid thing to ask, especially at my level. Just hear me out

Hello everyone,

I'm currently studying 3D and I want to get into the job eventually. Thing is - I already work in low level QA management in GameDev and I'm 24. What's concerning me is the hit that I'll take in terms of income and the time that will be needed to get to decent level (mostly also income-wise). If someone can help me with some guidance, I would highly appreciate that

What seems like a milestone that I'd be able to breathe out at is Middle position. And I currently struggle to understand what would define a Middle 3D artist and what it takes to get there

I currently have close to 3 years of experience in the industry. I'm no stranger to learning technical skills by myself and at a decent rate, presenting myself and working with people. I got a lot of things covered, aside from the actual art)

I've been studying for the past 6 months. For reference, I will include one of the works I did around 2 months ago

I know most of it will sound silly to more experienced people here, but lately a lot of anxiety started creeping in. I just want to get an understanding of what I would be dealing with. And maybe that's something that people on this forum can help me with

Huge thanks to anyone who decides to spare a bit of their time to help me out on this one

Cheers!

Replies

• rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter

Imo if you want to get some decent money for your time the 3d industry is not the best place.

So if this is your primary concern I would at least check out other areas.

You earn the most money in areas where the most money is made.

If you want to continue the artist road it totally depends on your location and the size and "money-throughput" of the company.

• Arsenii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I live in Ukraine, so money paid in this industry work are quite decent here)

It isn't the biggest reason or motivator for me by any means. It's just the only area which I'm still trying to make sense of at this point

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

"I currently have close to 3 years of experience in the industry."

Is that 3yrs employed in QA or are there other aspects involving game dev you've production exposure too?

So If your main points of focus are based upon some form of financial security plus timeline building an industry standard toward proficiency, then I'll have to agree with @rollin but additionally there's also a lot to be said for timing and luck, as well.

Edit:- Just on a side note, here in Australia for example we're currently experiencing a positive growth cycle in terms of generated revenue, contributing $230 million throughout 2021alone with forecasts of growing a billion dollar industry in the next 10yrs or so:

https://gcmag.com.au/post/australian-gaming-industry-to-hit-a-new-high/

However the primary caveat institutional spread-sheet bean counters in particular conveniently seem to turn a blind eye too, is simply there's a glaring shortage of senior people. Which in my opinion stark consequence when gov't subsidies were withdrawn 13 - 14 years ago, forcing AAA studios to move offshore in the wake of mass layoffs.....I recall was absolutely horrible to witness.