Home General Discussion

i enjoy Protonmail

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
killnpc polycounter

i still use and enjoy my gmail account and read it every morning. thanks to whomever from the community here that gave me the initial invite years ago.

i've been using https://proton.me/mail for under a year now for an encrypted alternative/secondary, they updated their interface a few months ago. i've enjoyed it and would recommend it.

note: i am not an internet security professional

Replies

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

Cheers for sharing, certainly looks interesting and based off of their server/s location I reckon security would be slicker than a swiss watch 😎

Anyhow I've had a yahoo account for nigh on 20yrs and to my knowledge, been hacked twice.

One well known instance a few years ago, was a system wide intrusion compromising millions of accounts - so probably high time too seriously think about migrating elsewhere.

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky

"Switzerland also embodies our status as a neutral service provider outside of US or EU jurisdiction, not aligned with any state or political agenda."

haha how many swiss made security tools have been out there by now which have been initiated by the nsa to get into foreign machines? switzerland doesn't mean its secure.

• killnpc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter

i guess i should disclaim i don't mean to pretend i have an understanding of the inner workings of technological bedrocks, i'm not a security expert, i just like it, certainly consider the source.

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky

i also can't tell. but i would also not be surprised if the news comes in a few years that this is just another nsa tool to get intel out of other nations.

that being said they have other means to get U.S. and E.U. based data anyways

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter

The illusion of privacy is reassuring, don't spoil it for everyone.

(if you have something you want to keep secret, don't put it on a computer - end of story)

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

Yeah, easier said than done, I live in one of the 5 eyes member states....there are no secrets.

• Finnn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finnn greentooth

Ive been using proton for a couple years now. They have pretty much the highest privacy and security standards. Google connects you throughout the whole internet and sells your data in countless ways. Proton is one way to keep it a bit more private.