Home Technical Talk

Retopology and baking help (Blender, ZBrush)

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
LadyPoro polycounter lvl 4

I'm fairly new to doing retopology so I'm not sure if the way I'm going about it is right. I would usually bake the normal map in ZBrush, using the low subdivision model as the low poly.

I created the high poly rock sculpt in ZBrush, then took it into Blender to create the retopology using planes and a shrink wrap modifier.

But I don't know how to get the normal map to use in Substance, since they are two different meshes and won't unwrap the same.

Am I going about it the wrong way, or is there something I should be doing that I'm not?

Thanks in advance - I can add pictures if needed but I'm unsure what you'd need to see

Replies

• killnpc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter

you are able to bake your normal maps in Substance Painter.

you are also able to import a texture and assign it to a material's texture types within Substance.

tangent space normal maps have two basic formats OpenGL and DirectX.

i think if you find yourself struggling to communicate your problem, or are uncertain of what you should provide to others to troubleshoot it, this might be a signal that you're just a little out of your depth and should familiarize yourself with the process and its terminology. i think you'll find you may not need anyone's help after that.

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage

You can bake normal maps in Substance maybe a lot better than in zBrush. killnpc above has given you a number of search terms to google which should help loads. Also lots of Substance painter tutes on the web. Welcome to the wonderful world of polygonal cookery!

• Tejvir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tejvir polycounter lvl 5

How can I solve this issue in rendering in blender Cycles?

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage

I cant really see what you are asking, but one thing before baking in substance can happen is you have to smooth all polys before baking. zBrush doesnt have that.

Edit. In the pic left, have you organised the uvs properly?