Home Technical Talk

ZBrush Texture from Polypaint Distorts

Hi, I am fairly new to ZBrush been using for about 6 months. I created a 3D model using photogrammetry and Agisoft Metashape. I then exported the model and imported it into ZBrush then duplicate it so I always have an original. The mesh is always super dense and untidy so I like to remesh my models. I do this using ZRemesher at the lowest subdivision which is approx 30K in this case and then I create a UV Map with UV Master before projecting the polypaint from the original onto the new model. The poly paint always looks great but when I create the Texture map from polypaint, the texture distorts. (see images attached)

I have also tired remeshing with different polycounts and it seems the lower the polycount, the more the texture map distorts.

I have done this process quite a few times before, in this exact way and never had any issues. I not sure if this model in particular is just two complicated due to its handles. Any help on this issue would be much appreciated :)

Replies

• pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter

"I create a UV Map with UV Master"

You need to thoroughly review these UVs before deciding to use them, as there is a 99% chance that they have some sort of overlap.

As great as UVMaster may be, you can't rely on it for production without having at least some reliable way to inspect the results. And of course you also need to know how to do UVs by hand, because you'll need this skill in order to fix them.

Put differenty : even though this process worked for you before with other assets, you are missing the most fundamental quality assurance step required to be able to rely on it.

• Bititsy

Thanks for the feedback. Essentially learn how to make UV maps by hand in order to edit/fix the UV map?

• pior
    Offline / Send Message

Heya - well first of all, essentially, learn how to review UVs (in another piece of software) :)

This is of course only assuming that this is the issue here. But there is no way to rule this out without, well, looking at what these UVs look like to begin with.

Overall : just because something is labelled as "automatic" doesn't mean that it actually does what it says perfectly well and in all cases. May that be a lesson to remember for every other autmagical tool you'll come across next :)

• Bititsy

I played around with polygroups and manage to get the UV master to work for me. Having said that I completely agree that I need to learn more about the UV mapping process as I feel I got lucky here.

Thanks so much for your help and advice!

• pior
    Offline / Send Message

While I am glad that you found a workaround, you indeed still have a huge blind spot in your workflow that will 100% bite you in the butt sooner than later. I do not mean that you need to learn how to UV from start to finish, but *at least* you need to be able to review your unwraps up close. This should take about an hour or so to learn how to do with any regular 3d app.

Case in point :