Home Adobe Substance

Help! The exported map doesn't look like the painted mesh in substance

Hi there, long story short I've built a trim sheet, and I'll direct your attention specifically to the brick strip and the ornate wood strip below that. These are the most noticeable strips where the problem explained below occurs, although the problem actually does appear to be happening all over the entire trim sheet.

Settings across all various applications: Modeled HP in Maya on a 400cmx400cm trim sheet. The same LP triangulated plane was used across all baking process. Map is 2048. All resolutions have been 2048x2048. Normal, AO, and ID baked in Marmoset using Mikk for a UE5 scene. Remaining maps baked with OpenGL in Painter. TD 5.12.

EDIT: The problem is definitely occurring somewhere in Marmoset, as that is where the mat ID, normal, and AO maps are first getting changed.

The final painted render in Substance Painter looks like this. Please notice how thin the brick trim is (vertically) and how thick the ornate wood below it are:

Exported from painter to a RMA packed texture set that includes Albedo, RMA, Normals. When loading this into Marmoset 4, everything looks correct as seen here (ignore the color differences, as I didnt set up lighting in Marmoset for this). Again notice the size of the brick and ornate wood below it:

Now we get to the first problem. Here is a photo of the albedo map produced on export from Painter. The same albedo map that performs perfectly in Marmoset. Notice how thick the brick has become, and how thin the ornate wood trim has become:

If you look closely, you can even see another distorted trim strip as seen at the VERY bottom of the above image ^. It looks dark grey and is beneath the light grey scratched strip. In reality, NONE of the above trim strips are the correct size.

This all makes me think the problem lies somewhere within Marmoset or Painter, but I'm not sure where or how to fix this. When I load the EXACT same texture set that looked correct in Marmoset into Maya, then I get the different results similar to how the albedo map looks. Please see below:

I've double checked this in UE5, and it looks just like it does in Maya and on the Albedo map, as seen below:

I feel like this is some "you missed checking this box" type of fix, but I'm not positive. Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is due tomorrow and I wasn't able to turn something in to my satisfaction last week either as I was hung up on a different problem, and I'd really like to be able to get this one in if able. Thanks in advance if you have any ideas I can try.

Replies

• seb3d
    Offline / Send Message
    seb3d polycounter lvl 10

Did you really bake to one single plane (2tris) or did you subdivide it in horizontal stripes based on the different trims?

to me it looks like it would look if you messed up uv to low-poly mesh proportions before baking and then apply the texture to a correct unwrapped plane.