Home Freelance Job Postings

[CLOSED] Wanting character art and a cover art/poster for a sci-fi rail shooter!

UPDATE: This position has been filled, thank you to everyone who submitted their portfolios! There was some really impressive art, it wasn't an easy decision. ;) If I find I need more work done in the future, I will definitely consider looking here again.

I am a solo game developer, and am looking for someone who can make character concept art, and a main publicity poster / cover art for the game itself. Feel free to apply if you are only interested in one of these two things, as they need not be completed by the same artist.

Please send messages to this email address:

jonathan {dot} howie [at] gmail (dot) com

Compensation

- This will be a one-time fee upon completion, so please provide information about the rate you would typically charge for a project like this. I am living in Japan currently, but have a Paypal account, and that will probably be the easiest way for me to pay you for your work.

- Before tackling the project fully, I will request a handful of rough concept sketches from you, so we can narrow down the direction the art should take. I've prepared a lot of information to be shared upon engagement of your services, but doing this rough sketch phase should help iron out any larger misconceptions about the style I'm going for. There will be no payment when I receive the sketches, but you don't have to spend a lot of time on them, just get some ideas out there for me to look at and use as a springboard. You will be paid when the last of the art is completed and submitted.

About the project

- This is a sidescrolling rail shooter, inspired by the likes of Ikaruga, Gradius, and Star Fox 64. So I am particularly interested in applicants who have some experience making sci-fi style art. This is a demo version, not the finished game, which is why I'm looking for a commission project rather than hiring for the full game. If I like your art and productivity/communication, later on I may look you up again for the full version, but I expect that to be far in the future.

The poster / cover art

- Art style for the game itself is pixelart, in a similar aesthetic to the Gradius or Darius series. The splash art poster should be made in a large scale, digital or clean hand drawn should be suitable. Think large enough to be printed as a poster and put on someone's wall without showing much pixelation. The game's name logo should be present and in a detailed, distinct style, I have some ideas for this. It should also at least feature the game's main ship design. I can provide more information and examples of similar posters if required.

The character art

- There are three characters - one older male, one young adult female, one mid-30s female. Character art will be full screen size, large scale, with transparent background, as dialogue scenes will be similar to visual novel style, with backdrops and the character art taking up one full side of the screen as the characters talk. Multiple expressions may be commissioned at a later date, but for now, only a simple neutral pose is required.

- Character art style should lean toward Western art styles, although if your experience includes some anime style art, I am willing to accept a certain amount of anime influence in the art - for example, the character portraits from the PS1 era JRPG "Xenogears" would be within my limits. Above all, I want the character art to convey a distinct sense of the characters' personalities.

Information on the individual characters

- Mid-30s female - She's the person in charge of a secret military project, but as the project is far from the capitol, she's not exactly official-looking and doesn't bear a very high rank. In her past, she had loose ties to a dissident group, and has some vague fundamentalist ideas. She's well-kept but doesn't pay much attention to her own fashion, preferring to be practical and lead through personal connection, same as her former commanding officer.

- Older male - He's had a lifetime of piloting experience, can be a bit gruff and doesn't speak much. Like the previous character, he is very practical, to a fault, and prefers to direct conversations toward what needs to be done. He emphasizes competence over aesthetic, and his attire reflects attention to what will improve his performance. He does have some regard for authority, so dress code on duty is loosely adhered to.

- Young female - She is a talented mechanic, but not a good pilot, and tends to underestimate the skill required for others' roles. Having a bit of a dirty job at times maintaining ships, she pays only necessary levels of attention to cleanliness, and wears clothing that will not snag during work. As she is consistently prepared for unexpected situations, she keeps an array of tools on hand, not excessive, but enough to cover various common tasks.