Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[FINISHED] Limestone Pebble beach Environment UE5

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
stefanWilliams_C polycounter lvl 4

Hello!

I've been working on this Gotland-inspired environment in UE5 over the summer vacation period. I recently started getting into photogrammetry and using textures from images from the real-world to create an environment in that same location. In my case that's within the bays of the limestone, pebble beaches and cliffs of a dwarf pine covered Gotland, a small southern Swedish island.

This is my first time using my own photogrammetry in the form of materials and some ground models. The lighting and reflections are all Lumen.

Most materials are taken from pictures made by me on Gotland. Only the larger rock formations and roof tiles are done in Substance painter/designer.

These are the main references I used for this environment. I wanted to capture the Gotland sunset which often looks extremely yellow on the surface of the limestone rocks.

Thanks for reading and feedback is very much welcomed!

Replies

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage

Great work!

The scenes look very small scale and toy like. Probably because the textures are way too large on the model geometry. The image of the hut by the shore seems very low rez (like a box with a picture on it) as do the tree models around it. Unless this was your intention I would really study those excellent reference shots on your last post with different eyes.

• stefanWilliams_C
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I've started remodeling the fishing hut to have more geometry detail and to generally look just a bit cleaner. That being said I'm not sure I like it being so spotless at the moment so I will experiment a bit with some height blending using some other materials.

The trees, I've bumped the normals up a little more and pushed some of the geometry to see how much of the detail shows in the scene. Right now it seems alright seeing as the trees aren't seen from that close up :)

I'll keep working on this one as I feel I can push some of the details more I think :D

• stefanWilliams_C
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Worked a little more on the house and tried to put more emphasis on the focal point of the main screenshot by making it a little more busy around the rocks.