Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Modern Light Machine Gun feedback

Hi everyone! I have recently been working on my original design for the LSW-57, a fictional near-future LMG. I'm finishing up my texturing work and I wanted to know what design or material changes people might recommend. This would be intended as a 3D first-person game asset.

Here are a couple of substance painter shots:

It is, of course, inspired by the MG-42 machine gun.

Replies

• Lukes3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lukes3D triangle

The modeling and texturing looks great, but I think it generally needs more contrast.

It could be a matter of a different lighting setup, or just raise the contrast of the textures.

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage

Looks very low poly and mat (don't see pbr). By low poly I mean it looks wobbly. Including a wireframe might help with comments.

• Bhasara
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bhasara polycounter lvl 6

Nice and original design ! I like it :)

As Kanga said it looks a bit rough around the edges, a bit too low poly. Could use more chamfer/bevels? The bipod feels a bit flimsy compared to the original. Maybe make it thicker, sturdier kind of. Here's an example:

For the texture, I would add more shiny parts. More metallic channel I feel, getting a more contrasted roughness map. As kanga said again it feels quite mat at the moment. Could also be lighting setup I guess.

• Kanni3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master

I think your bakes/normals are suffering hardcore. There's artifacting/harsh edges on almost all edges of a uv seam. Consider splitting your material up for more texel density, and really abuse stacking/overlapping uvs to gain more resolution.

Share your UV sheets too, I feel like almost nothing was straightened