Home Technical Talk

How to avoid lumps when working with subdivided mesh

Lukes3D
triangle
Offline / Send Message
Lukes3D triangle

I am trying to make a car chassis. However, I often run into the problem of the mesh appearing lumpy or has dents in it.

No matter how much I try to adjust the vertices around to make it more smooth, it always shows up. It usually occurs at a quad corner points or "diamond" polygons.

I am using blender.

Replies

• Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox high dynamic range

start simpler, subdivide, work from there. you are cutting in too many things at the density you have right now.

• Lukes3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Lukes3D triangle

So in order to avoid lumps I should add more geometry? I thought it was the opposite. Less geometry means less vertices to manage, vertices that could be moved the wrong way and cause lumps.

• Eric Chadwick

Less geometry is better, in general, when starting to learn how subdivision works.

• HAWK12HT
    Offline / Send Message
    HAWK12HT polycounter lvl 11

Remember three points make a curve in modelling after adding smoothing (subdivice, opensubdiv, turbosmooth etc)

;)

https://3dtotal.com/tutorials/t/making-of-lotus-elise-mk-1-razvan-maftei-vehile-car-lotus-wheel

• Lukes3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Lukes3D triangle

Uniformly spaced edge flow sounds like a good idea, but for car models there's alot of areas that need hard edges, such as the divider between the front seats and passenger seats. In order to get a proper hard corner on a subdivided mesh, you need one edge going vertical and another going horizontal.

Which causes non uniformed edge flow like this.

You can try merging edge loops in order to avoid unnecessary edge loops spilling off into other parts of the mesh, but then your making triangles or diamond quads, which usually causes shading issues.

Alot of images of car models on the web appear to have evenly spaced edgeflow, but they seemingly only exist to look good in wireframe, and I wonder if they are really needed.

Are all of these edges really needed in these relatively flat areas of the mesh?

My only explanation is that they are there so once the car is separated into parts, they can perfectly align with other parts of the mesh that need that density.

• okidoki
    Offline / Send Message
    okidoki triangle

Too bad.. if @FrankPolygon had split this up in different posts i could have liked every one of them 😍. (So make just one or two simple follow ups 😉.)