Home Technical Talk

why is dynamic foveated rendering not the standard in flatscreen pc gaming?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
napelazam polycounter lvl 6

flatscreen=not vr.

pls dont come at me now with "cause u need to buy hardware for it". u could say the same to m&k.

or because the tracker costs 300 euro? is tobii the only one who sells that for so much money?

why dfr? it adds 10 times more fps.

have a niceeeee dayoooo. yours, kawasaki-chan. yes i am yours.

Replies

• Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
  • okidoki
    Offline / Send Message
    okidoki polycounter lvl 2

Most of the ones playing games want to speed up there CPU/GPU with overclocking instead of buying more expensive hardware. And to get good tracking you have to buy good tracking hardware and have not the cheapest GPU which do render quickly in the spotted areas. Those who try it with lesser convenient hardware wil not buy more expensive one and will think "what a crap".. also most of the players are younger or do have enough money to buy the "better" GPU.. so after all the market will only earn where cutomers will buy a lot of it.. So in the end and for everything: It's all about money. 🤷

• napelazam
    Offline / Send Message

huhhuh? eyetracker could be much cheaper if they could be sold en masse. this shoudl be doable? microsoft for example can advertize it and then everybody can afford it?

and where did u get that a 1080 cant handle dfr?

• poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter

The purpose of the exercise is to concentrate effort on the relatively small portion of the headset screen that's within your field of view.

With a normal monitor you can see the whole screen (or near enough) with both eyes so you would be saving very little work for the added complexity.

Plenty of games already mask the edges of the screen off and run them at a lower resolution/ shading rate to improve performance - this is functionally the same thing.

• napelazam
    Offline / Send Message

Plenty of games already mask the edges of the screen off and run them at a lower resolution/ shading rate to improve performance - this is functionally the same thing.

^ thats thiny amount of pixels. thats nothing cmopared to what DFR will save you.

on flatscreeen u also only see max 5% of the whole screen SHARPLY. the rest can be rendered with 5% of its native resolution and then we apply ML to fill out the gaps.

• okidoki
    Offline / Send Message
    okidoki polycounter lvl 2

Of course everthing can be made cheaper if it is produces in higher numbers.. But at the beginning there has to be a big enough demand so that the market about this can start at all.. at as you said: there aren't cheap yet.. so you are pretty much answering your own question.

And i said lower perfomance GPU|s will just do it at lower performance which may be a disadvantage.. i never mentioned any type numbers from any producer.. so you shouldn't ask if you don't cite you dialogue partners correctly and seems to to know it already better ..

(I bet here follows something with: but, could, should,... and still -- it is not so .. 🤷 )

• poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter

5% of 4k is 192x108 pixels. With a 28" 16:9 monitor that's a viewable area of about 2cm square .

So. No, thats not true and your premise is flawed.

As far as the existing methods used on flat screens go.. you're looking at rendering 30-50% of the screen at 25% resolution. It's a pretty significant saving - has to be or you wouldn't waste resources on rendering the scene twice and comping them together(which is how it works)