Home Technical Talk

Can't hide seams

node

Baked in Marmoset

tryed this tutorial (doesn't help) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPcrhqiVAKc&t=185s

but even with one color seams very visible

How i can fix that?

FLAG

Replies

• BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator

When importing, does switching from OpenGL to DirectX change it?

• scraffcoff
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter

This doesn't look like a Y-up/Y-down problem so that makes sense.

There are two possibilities here

The most likely is that photoshop has fucked your maps up (extrapolated from the psd extension).

Rule 1 : never put anything through photoshop unless you have gone through your color settings and told it not to destroy everything.

By default it will apply a transform to both color and grayscale images on opening. You won't be able to see it, it makes perfect sense for photo editing and it is cancer for 3d work. You do not want this behaviour enabled.

Dump the textures to .png from Marmoset and load them straight into Painter to see if this is the issue

The next most likely is that you've got a mismatch between the apps in terms of mesh data. The mesh you bake to must be identical to the mesh you are viewing the normal map on - any differences will result in bork. I don't use Marmoset so forgive me if some of this is redundant

Which tangent space are you baking into and is Painter using the same one? (use mikkt space)

are you using the exact same mesh file?

did you triangulate the mesh before export?

did you regenerate normals or tangents when importing into either app?

With all that said, normal maps are imperfect and when compressed you will never entirely eliminate artefacting. As such - you don't want to put seams in areas you can see easily even if you can get a perfect bake

• okidoki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okidoki polycounter lvl 2

You may try to disable the normal map to check if the other maps also mismatch or it's just the border of the normal map. Apropos.. the baked maps do have some border for "overbaking" (seam, border, margin width or whatever it's called in your app).

• scraffcoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    scraffcoff node

Seams only on normal map

1. I don't use Photoshop
    2. They are the same meshes
    3. Tryed mikkt space, Marmoset and Maya - no result
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter

Upload your files, otherwise people will only be able to make guess.

My own guesses : you likely put some useless hard edges at the border of all UVs even though there is no need for them ; and then somehow lost the hard edge information along the way. Or, somehow used a baker that split rays at hard edges, which would naturally produces a broken surface rendition. Or, some color depth issue. But again these are just guesses based on ... not much.

Please make the effort to describe your issue with full sentences as opposed to one-liners, and show/share as much as you can.

• Ghogiel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghogiel greentooth

There is a ton of missing information, so based on that, I'd guess Pior is right 😐️> messed up the mesh normals somewhere so it no longer matches or having useless hard edges and not using an averaged cage to bake.

• guitarguy00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    guitarguy00 polycounter lvl 6

Smoothing group error somewhere?