Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[FINISHED] Onion Knight - Handpainted Character

Hey guys, for some time now I've been working on and off on this character and now I decided to take it to completion. I created this thread in order to document a bit of the process, and also to look for critique, as this is my most "complex" handpainted project yet.

It's based on this concept by nishio nanora: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/WKVkGJ

And this is the high poly so far. I'll start on the low poly version pretty soon. Many of this pieces I modeled directly in ZBrush using ZModeler, so this makes the retopology a lot easier.

Feedback is always welcome! Thanks!

Replies

• CVLEB91
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

😻😻 love it!!

in my novice eyes you’ve perfectly captured the concept

• be3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

@CVLEB91 Thanks! 😁

Sharing a bit more of the process, this is after the retopology. I've managed to get to 30k tris, including the sword and shield. I'd like to lower a bit more, but I also don't want to lose some of the details...I'll think about it, but for now I'm going with this.

I've divided into 4 texture sets (head+hair, armor, clothes and props). And this is the current UV layout:

Next I'll share the texturing!

• be3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Still a bit of cleanup to do, but after spendind a lot of time on texturing, I'm thinking of moving on to the next step. I'd love to hear from people who are more used to doing handpainted textures how acceptable this is, if it works, etc. But in any case, it was great as practice, it was a lot of fun and I feel like I learned a lot.

I had to make a small change on the armor of the arm, as with the previous one I noticed that she wouldn't be able to bend her arm 😅

After the final adjustments, I will create a simple rig and pose her.

• be3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Alright, time to wrap this up! I tried my best and was generally happy with the result. But the important thing is that I learned a lot and had a lot of fun :)

The total polycount went up to 56k, but that's because I decided to add a toon outline, doubling the polygons. The outline made a huge difference, so I could not leave it out!

This is the ArtStation link if anyone wants to see more images: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/d0wo1K

And here it is: