Home Technical Talk

Baking - where do the rays come from and go?

3D4Eva
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
3D4Eva polycounter lvl 3

Im reading up on some baking guides and was confused on where the rays come from and where they go because some guides say the rays start at the low poly and go out until it passes through the high poly getting the details. Others say it comes down and hits both the high and low getting the detail from the high.

I read the guide from here too https://substance3d.adobe.com/tutorials/courses/Substance-3D-Painter-Baking-Parameters

I think the rays start from the point where the front distance from the low and will go through until the rear distance is met.

With cages does it work the same way? The rays start from the outer part and go until it hits the end of the geometry?

My final question is if the rays hit the high poly first then the low and I don't know if it matters in the order because Ive read that the high or low can be on top or pushing a bit one way or the other. When the rays hit the high and keep going to the low does it know to capture that detail from the high based on what area the ray hits on the low and where those faces are on the UV map?

Thank you! :)

Replies