Home Career & Education

¿How much money should I charge for a 3d model for 3D printing? (only the model, not the print)

Santiago_RS
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Santiago_RS polycounter lvl 2

Hello everyone, i'm a freelance 3D modeler currently working a side job on making 3D print files, and I find hard to find how much to charge for my work (making the 3D file, not printing it). I know there is a formula that takes into consideration the electricity that you use, the wear on the hardware, how much time you spent doing it, but sometimes I don't know if I charge too much or my clients don't want to pay because they want it cheaper, so i will put some 3D models images and put the price i would give to a client for it and I would like to know if the prices are correct.

Also I do this as a side job, having another part-time job, so calculating how much time it will take is difficult to forsee and I have an intermediate level of experience in modelling.

(the images that I will use are not mine, it's pictures I took from google to use as examples)

This moonknight if it is in 1 piece, I would charge it 90 dollars, if it's divided into pieces (arms, from waist down, head, making the pins for assembling) 110 dollars

In 1 piece, 40 dollars, separated 60 dollars.

A simple one, 10 dollars, which is also the lowest I'm gonna go for a 3d model.

Any advice or tip is welcome, thanks for taking the time to read.

Cheers.

Replies

• killnpc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter

yo, so, i'd log the time spent making the 3d model and ballpark an hourly rate based on the quality of the work, apply a sale percentage, then add clean up time and material cost and tax over it per print.

rates:

principal artist tier - $100,000 annually ÷ 12 months = $8,333 ÷ 3 weeks = $2,777 ÷ 5 days = $555 ÷ 8 hours = $69 per hour

college graduate artist tier - $40,000 annually ÷ 12 months = $3,333 ÷ 3 weeks = $1,111 ÷ 5 days = $222 ÷ 8 hours = $27 per hour

beginner artist tier - $8 hourly × 8 hours × 5 days × 3 weeks × 12 months = $11,520 annual

labor time × quality rate = base price

at this point the 3d work is done and all that's left is printing and clean up, i'd discount the base price by a sale percentage, lets say 45% off for the first 3 prints.

base price × .45 = discount

tax:

principal god 24%

college grad 22%

beginner 12%

clean up time × quality rate + material costs + base price + tax = sales price per print

customer pays shipping *dusts hands*

• Santiago_RS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Santiago_RS polycounter lvl 2

thank you very much killnpc! now i have a better a understanding on how to price my work.

• killnpc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter

cool. note my numbers here are based on conjecture, there's been like, volatile stuff going on with the world's economy for a couple years or something. you may want to compare reliable surveys for the last couple years to see where the trend is on a graph backed by actual statistical data to better inform your rates. the general outline is there.