Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Bi-Monthly Environment Art Challenge | July - August (79)

sublime tool
Offline / Send Message
Pinkfox sublime tool

Hey everyone and welcome to the 79th Bi-Monthly Environment Art Challenge for the months of July and August!

This challenge is a way for real-time 3D artists to test their skills and create a piece of work based on concepts provided. It's open to those of all skill levels and we do our best to provide meaningful feedback along the way so everyone can come away from the challenge with actionable points on which they can improve their craft!

Anyone is welcome in this challenge no matter your skill level! It's a test of your own ability not a competition between members. We're all here to improve as artists and learn from each other.

- ENVIRONMENTS -

HARD SURFACE ENVIRONMENT:

Wind Harp by Jean Chevillard

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/L3zZRP

STYLIZED ENVIRONMENT:

Gods will fall -Enviro art exploration 02 by shaun mooney

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/nYAVG9

- PROPS -

HARD SURFACE PROP:

Birds & Biolabs by Pavel Lisiy

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/B3WRam

STYLIZED PROP:

MH..unknown project 2015 by Hwanggyu Kim

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/ZGkWw8

- RULES -

Please read all the rules before starting:

• Try to post at least one critique for every post that you make. This will make for a better learning environment and help us all grow as artists.
  • Try your best to finish as much as you can in the time frame provided, but remember even if you don't finish by the end of the challenge we encourage you to keep pushing and finish your piece!
  • Post what you are working on in this thread so that way it's a more centralized place for advice and critique. Please avoid creating a new thread as we don't want to spam out the forums.
  • It is recommended to use a game engine to present your work. Unreal Engine, Unity, and CryEngine are very common engines that can be used but feel free to use any alternatives that you want. (Marmoset Toolbag for example.)
  • Feel free to change up your chosen concept a bit if you want! Interpret these concepts to your liking, especially if your aim is to add storytelling elements.
  • If you finish your project and decide to post it to Artstation, make sure you give credit to the concept artist in the form of a link to their profile. Additionally, it is recommended to ask a concept artist for their permission to post a 3D piece based on their work before doing so.

- RECOMMENDATIONS -

• When you are just starting out making a scene, it can seem complicated or imposing. Take your time planning and blocking out, it will set you up for success later on.
  • Think about how you can re-use assets, re-use textures, break it down as simple as possible and plan it out. A lot of people will break it down in their own way when they start out their challenge. Gather some reference images as well for different parts of the scene, don't be afraid to make it your own.
  • We strongly encourage you to go and look at other games and see how they make their assets as well as get concept art to give it your own feel.

The goal is to learn and grow both artistically and in your ability to both give and receive critique, but don't stress about it and remember to have fun!

Good luck!

Replies

• Fabi_G
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter

Hey :) Started on the plant container. My plan is to bake an atlas and then uv the lowpoly to it.

At first I modeled the tubes directly on the cylindrical glass + mirror and shrinkwrap modifier and bent other elements with simple deform modifiers.

Then I switched to UV mesh from cylinder and deformed the elements with it, seems more simple.

However I'm wondering if there is a way to quickly un and rebind multiple objects surface deform modifier after having modied their geometry?

Current wip

• Fabi_G
    Offline / Send Message

"Finished" with the plant container, appreciate any feedback. I ended up changing the design a bit and some areas are still rough.

For re binding the surface deform modifier of multiple objects, with some trial and error, I ended up with a simple script to operate on the surface deform modifier of all selected objects - let me know if you see any problems with the script. Still wondering if there an easy way without scripting. But for the future, makes sense to learn some python anyway 🤓

import bpy

#1) create list of selected objects, then de-select all
    selectionList = bpy.context.selected_objects
    bpy.ops.object.select_all(action='DESELECT')

#2) For each object in selection list: make it the active obj, then toggle bind in surface deform modifier off/on
    for obj in selectionList:
      bpy.context.view_layer.objects.active = obj
      bpy.ops.object.surfacedeform_bind(modifier="SurfaceDeform")
      bpy.ops.object.surfacedeform_bind(modifier="SurfaceDeform")

#3) select all objects in selection list
    for obj in selectionList:
      obj.select_set(True)

screenshot from sketchfab viewer

current state of atlas

• Pinkfox
    Offline / Send Message
    Pinkfox sublime tool

@Fabi_G Excellent work on it! With the trimsheet you created it seems like it would be easy for you to create plenty of variations with just that one texture set. :D

• Finnn
    Offline / Send Message
    Finnn greentooth

Good job on the container. Clean baking results !

And awesome to see some scripting here aswell. You can optimize the script performance-wise by combining the two for loops since you already iterate through the same list in the first loop. It should be possible to select them already in there. You can also remove line 11, because you already did the same in 10.

Also, its awesome to see a fellow artist from Hamburg here on the forums! :)

• Fabi_G
    Offline / Send Message

Appreciate the feedback 🙏 Maybe I'll find some time to build the other container too (and potentially expand the atlas).

Thanks a lot for pointing it out, makes sense! Yeah, nice to meet a fellow hamburger on the forums cheers 🍻😀

• simonBreumier
    Offline / Send Message
    simonBreumier greentooth

@Fabi_G nice! It's cool to see how you managed to texture this with a simple atlas.

Regarding the textures maybe you can push the sci-fi/tech aspect of the prop by adding some patterns on the glass (such as what's done in the concept).

Things like these maybe: https://img.freepik.com/premium-vector/vector-illustration-abstract-vitrage-background-decorative-stained-glass-pattern-design-poster-cover-flyer-brochure_620329-582.jpg?w=360

or this: https://www.delawareglass.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Pattern-Glass-2-2.jpg

Maybe not much varying the glass normal but more the opacity/roughness

• atunnard
    Offline / Send Message
    atunnard polycounter lvl 5

@Fabi_G Great work as usual, only thing I can think of adding is maybe some mist on the inside or water droplets on the glass.

Been having a go at the stylised environment. Few more assets to make but getting there. Hopefully will have time after to do the other environment challenge.

• SimonKl
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonKl triangle

@Fabi_G Looks neat! Such a nice workflow, I already see I can learn tons from you guys. I agree that a little bit of mist or condensate inside would make it feel more alive.

@atunnard Really cool so far, I see you changed the color tone a bit from more blueish to greenish which I like. 2 minor things I noticed:

1: The first part of the bridge looks like it's not connected to anything and should just fall off - maybe if you add some supporting structure or rock underneath it already feels more believable.

2: This might just be just me but compared to the concept art your stone towers feel way less massive and not as integrated into the strong cliff in front of the bridge. If you look at the concept you can see that nice contrast between a pretty massive feeling cliff and a rather fragile bridge - the thinner towers you created make the whole scene feel like it could collapse anytime soon.

Sorry if I am overinterpreting things from the concept art - I am really new to giving feedback.

• Fabi_G
    Offline / Send Message

Appreciate the feedback people 🙏

@atunnard @atunnardNice progress! From this perspective the foggy background already works quite well 👍️ Maybe it's cool to have the camera slightly more rotated down to match the concept even more.

I think the pillar in the middle of the passage currently looks pretty straight, maybe some slight taper towards the top and subtle offset and variation between the segments would make it look more natural.

SimonKl makes a good point about the towers looking a bit fragile. A solution could be to add a solid core in the middle, so instead of being hollow structures, they become solid Blocks with carved in cavities. In the end it's up to you how close you want to stay to the concept ofc.

Keep it up 🚀

• Finnn
    Offline / Send Message
    Finnn greentooth

Hey thats a good start. I feel like compared to the concept art, your proportions are a bit off. Like Simon mentioned, everything looks less massive and heavy. Try to add some thickness to the pillar and the bridge. Maybe also adjust the camera to have the same perspective as in the concept, that might make it a bit easier.

Other than that, I really like the fog. It already looks very similar to the concept art. Also the texturing looks good already.

Good luck on the challenge!

• jgarrison
    Offline / Send Message
    jgarrison polycounter lvl 5

I've been wanting to take a crack at the Wind Harp scene since the beginning of the month---originally I was going to do it in a game engine, but I kept running into roadblocks (mostly hardware related) So I went ahead and did it in Blender again. Since my last two attempts at the Bi-Monthly environment challenge took way too long for me to finish, I decided I was going to try to finish the scene (or at least get it into a more-or-less presentable state) in one week.

Day 1:

Day 3:

Day 7:

Working fast like this and not hyper-scrutinizing everything was a lot of fun! The biggest issue I had was the water, and I'm still not very happy with how it looks. I also had trouble with lighting in Eevee, and then with volumetric fog in Cycles.

When I pick this up again in a few weeks, the next steps I can think of are: Finish the material for the harp object, replace the skybox/clouds, completely re-do the cliffside in the bottom left corner to better match the concept art, Improve the material for the white platforms (trim sheet maybe?), add foliage to the larger island, and add the boats and birds to the scene, and maybe the fruit as well.

• SimonKl
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonKl triangle

Looks good for the short amount of time!

I think the main difference between the concept art and what you got so far is actually the colors. In the concept the white pops way more also because it has this nice red/ochery tint, especially in the water canal. The ocean gives this great dark blue contrast (I know you already said you're not happy with the water yet) and the cliffs in the bottom left (and middle island) are redish. I think what could help you a lot is some sort of warm light coming from the camera. The cliffs and left white wall are in the shade yes but they get alot of ambient light in the concept. Also your left white wall is prettty blue, especially at the top - a warm light from said direction could maybe help out in that regard as well.

Overall the far away island takes the focus in your render because it is rather bright and your white foreground and left cliff + wall don't pop as much as in the concept. I'd probably fix that first and postpone the foilage part till the end. Instead having the background blurry could help a lot. I'm not an expert with cameras but I think you know what I mean when I say having the focal point closer to the very foreground and keeping the image rather sharp until the middle cliffs/island between the boats and slowly have it blur out more and more until it reaches the distant island.

Edit: And don't be stingy about polys in the foreground! Those corners in the water canal send shivers down my spine haha.

• vladorales
    Offline / Send Message
    vladorales polycounter lvl 2

Just started this week. Working on getting the composition right.

• Pinkfox
    Offline / Send Message
    Pinkfox sublime tool

@vladorales Like what you've got so far! The close up elements feel really good already both in shape and scale.

I would say for the island behind though that it's too close. Try pushing it way back and then scaling it accordingly. You want it to feel closer to your horizon line.

• vladorales
    Offline / Send Message

@Pinkfox Thank you for the feedback! I have some more progress pics I'm starting to put more detail. Just need to model the harp and I'll be able to do a more detailed texture and decal pass. Please let me know what you think and any suggestions!

• vladorales
    Offline / Send Message

Hello this is probably the last I'll be posting on this environment so let me know what you think! I really enjoyed doing this!

• Pinkfox
    Offline / Send Message
    Pinkfox sublime tool

Hey everyone!

Really nice work from so many people. All of the concepts provided a myriad of challenges and it's been awesome to see everyone approach them in their own ways! Hopefully many of you came away with areas you'd like to focus on improving while recognizing the great accomplishments you've achieved in the work produced! :D

September is finally upon us and with it comes the close of one challenge and the opening of another! Hope some of the new concepts spark interest and we see you over there!

https://polycount.com/discussion/231202/the-bi-monthly-environment-art-challenge-september-october-80

• atunnard
    Offline / Send Message
    atunnard polycounter lvl 5

Thank you for all the feedback, really made me focus on trying to get a sense of scale across.

Late finish from me, tried doing some extra photoshop editing to bring more depth and give a more stylized feel.

• Pinkfox
    Offline / Send Message
    Pinkfox sublime tool

@atunnard You got a lot of the large shapes down excellently! The sense of scale is captured well and it keeps with the feel of the concept.

I do feel your post processing could use some work. You've got excellent color usage in your lights and background but the shadows feel neglected. What I mean by that is your shadows have a very desaturated darkness to them. When you're going for that stylized look it's something you want to avoid as it conflicts with the often more painterly style.