Home Technical Talk

Is this lowpoly too much?

Hey, I'm doing lowpoly and want to ask about this fragment:

is it ok to pull edges from far away and create very long triangles? Would there be an artifact on the point where all these edges meet? What about triple fan cylinder caps then?

Or should it better be like this:

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter

Avoid long thin triangles where practical to do so. It's not efficient in terms of rendering.

• Tiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tiles greentooth

I second the advice. Long triangles can also introduce shading issues. So here better aim for a cleaner topology instead. The golden rule is as few geometry as possible, but as much as needed. And here the extra geometry would be needed. Edge loops can with a few common techniques also be send in other directions ...

As a side note, In picture two you have some loops at the cylinder that doesn't do anything to me. Edges that doesn't add to the silhouette can usually be removed (as long as they are not required for something else, to avoid long triangles for example. Or as support loops for sds). Which then also removes the need for a few of those long triangles.

• EugeneTheSage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

they actually add to silhouette

• Tiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tiles greentooth

Okay, wasn't really good to see from this shot. Thanks for the second shot. Which leads us to rule number three and four. Three: allowed is what works. Four: there is no rule :)

• Kanni3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master

Visibility, distance, context etc here would be nice. If this thing does not get viewed any closer than what you have in these screen shots, you could collapse quite a few details and just rely on a bake to represent those details.